Agua Dulce Airpark
|Agua Dulce Airpark|
|Owner||Wayne & Connie Spears|
|Location||Agua Dulce, California|
|Elevation AMSL||2,660 ft / 811 m|
FAA Airport Sketch
Agua Dulce Airpark (FAA LID: L70), also known as Agua Dulce Airport, is a public-use airport located 2 miles (3.2 km) east of the central business district of Agua Dulce, in Los Angeles County, California, United States.
The plans for an airport at Agua Dulce began in 1958. Aircraft modification engineer Robert W. Lillibridge and Northrop test pilot Errol Williams purchased the vacant acreage for the airport. The costs of subsequent improvements were financed by millionaire businessman Jim Annin. A special permit to begin building was required. On October 27, 1959, Special permit case No. 1404-(5) was granted by the Regional Planning Commission of Los Angeles County. In the 1990s, local residents fought an attempt by Los Angeles County to buy the airpark and convert it to a regional airport. In October 2005, former airport owner Barry Kirschner sold the property to Wayne and Connie Spears, owners of Spears Manufacturing and Spears Motorsports.
Facilities and aircraft
Agua Dulce Airpark covers an area of 108 acres (44 ha) which contains one asphalt paved runway (4/22) measuring 4,600 x 50 ft (1,402 x 15 m). For the 12-month period ending May 15, 2006, the airport had 2,880 aircraft operations: 62% transient general aviation and 38% local general aviation.
The airport has been used as a filming location for projects including:
- The 1983 video for the "Weird Al" Yankovic song, "I Love Rocky Road", was filmed at this airport.
- The Macgyver TV series used the airport as the "Sparrow Ridge Airport", Arizona, in Season 1, episode 7, "Last Stand" (1985).
- For the 1997 film, Fire Down Below, a gas station/minimart set was built on the runway.
- The "Roswell" TV series used this in at least five episodes, over three seasons (1999–2002): The gas station and the Cafe exterior in season 1, the airport as a background and the interior of the Cafe in season 2, the hill that faces the runway in season 3. Also, the view in the distance is used as a distant shot of the town of "Roswell" in promotional materials.
- The final act of the 200th episode of the TV series Bones (Season 10, 2014) was filmed at the airport.
- FAA Airport Master Record for L70 ( PDF), effective 2007-10-25
- Agua Dulce Airport (official website)
- "Clouds Over the Airpark". Los Angeles Times. 2006-05-05.
- Agua Dulce Airport: History
- Agua Dulce Airpark Ranch
- "Weird Al" Yankovic: The Official Website Archived July 1, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Fire Down Below: Production Notes Archived September 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.