|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)|
Ah Lian (Chinese: 阿莲; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: a-lián) is a pejorative term applied to a certain group of ethnic Chinese girls in Southeast Asia, especially Singapore. These Chinese girls, in their teens and twenties, are usually found in larger cities in the region. Ah Lians are regarded as bimbos, and are stereotyped as anti-intellectual, superficial, materialistic, and shallow. They are the rough equivalent of the English "Essex girl" or "chav" stereotypes.
- Ladette (England)
- Millie (Belfast, Northern Ireland)
- Naco (Mexico)
- Ned (Scotland)
- Scanger (Dublin, Ireland)
- White Trash (United States)
- Flappers (1920s)
- Beng Huat Chua (2003) Life is not complete without shopping for bimbo products: consumption culture in Singapore, Singapore University Press
Definitions of 'Ah Lian':
- ShaolinTiger. "Ah Lians Lian, Ah Bengs Beng and Lala's". Ranting.