|Genres||Funeral doom metal, progressive metal|
Chris R. Hector
|Past members||Stephan Adolph|
Ahab is a German funeral doom metal band founded in 2004 by Midnattsol guitarists Christian Hector and Daniel Droste and former Endzeit guitarist Stephan Adolph. The band is named after Captain Ahab, a character in the novel Moby-Dick by Herman Melville. Along with its name, the band also draws thematic and lyrical inspiration from Moby Dick – some songs even feature direct quotations from the book.
Near the end of 2004, with one song already written, Christian Hector and Daniel Droste decided to form a band. Bassist Stephan Adolph soon joined the line-up, and shortly thereafter, with the help of Cornelius Althammer as a session drummer, the band recorded their first single, The Stream. On 15 April 2005, after several months of rehearsing, the band's first demo, The Oath, was released. The demo was limited to 30 hand-numbered copies and contained the band's first song, "The Stream", as well as two new songs and an outro track. Nearly a year and a half later, The Call of the Wretched Sea, the group's first full-length album was released on Napalm Records.
After the release of The Call of the Wretched Sea, the band toured extensively in Europe. In 2008, shortly after playing at the Summer Breeze Open Air metal festival in Dinkelsbühl, Germany, bassist Stephan Adolph left the band due to "personal differences." He was quickly replaced by Stephan Wandernoth, a member of the band Dead Eyed Sleeper to which the drummer, Cornelius, also belongs.
In April 2012, Ahab announced they would be releasing their third studio album, titled The Giant, later in 2012. The announcement included the artwork and track listing.
- Studio albums
- The Call of the Wretched Sea (2006)
- The Divinity of Oceans (2009)
- The Giant (2012)
- The Boats of the "Glen Carrig" (2015)
- The Oath (2005) (vinyl re-release 2007)
- The Stream (2004)
- Daniel Droste – guitar, vocals, keyboards
- Christian Hector – guitar
- Stephan Wandernorth – bass
- Cornelius Althammer – drums
- Stephan Adolph – bass, guitars, vocals
- Interview with Christian R. Hector @ mental-solitude.com
- AHAB Part Ways With Bassist, Replacement Announced @ bravewords.com
- Ahab: 'The Divinity of Oceans' Cover Unveiled blabbermouth.net. 2009-05-26. Retrieved on 2009-07-14
- "Ahab: ‘The Giant’ Details". Metal CallOut. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Ahab Announces New Album Title "The Divinity Of Oceans": News @ metalunderground.com