Location of Ahigal in the Cáceres province.
|Autonomous communities of Spain||Extremadura|
|Region||Tierras de Granadilla|
|• Mayor||Luis Fernando García Nicolás|
Ahigal is a municipality in the province of Cáceres and autonomous community of Extremadura, Spain. The municipality covers an area of 52.07 square kilometres (20.10 sq mi) and as of 2011 had a population of 1435 people.
The origin of the series of place names "Ahigal" is a place name created from a plant. Figal is used as a surname in Asturias: the figal is the fig tree; many variations still exist such as La Figar, La Figal or Figares in Asturian place names. Like in Latin, the feminine gender of the tree name is maintained.
Ahigal is bordered by:
- Cerezo to the north;
- Guijo de Granadilla to the east;
- Oliva de Plasencia to the south-east;
- Valdeobispo to the south-west;
- Santibáñez el Bajo to the west.
At the fall of the old regime the area was formed into a constitutional municipality in the Extremadura region, judicial district of Granadilla, then known as Aigal, which, in the census of 1842, had 250 homes and 1370 residents
- "Cáceres: Población por municipios y sexo:Cifras oficiales de población resultantes de la revisión del Padrón municipal a 1 de enero de 2011". Instituto Nacional de Estadística. Archived from the original on 21 May 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
|This article about a location in the autonomous community of Extremadura, Spain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|