Ahimsa Wickrematunge is the daughter of Lasantha Wickrematunge and Raine Wickrematunge, and the grand daughter of Harris Wickrematunge a politician, and former deputy mayor.Wickrematunge’s family owned and ran the now defunct Leader Publications. The paper quickly drew threats and attacks for its reporting on corruption. In 1995, men pulled Wickrematunge’s father and mother out of their car and attacked them with clubs.In 2000, the government tried Wickrematunge’s father for criminal libel of President Chandrika Kumaratunga but he received no major penalties. In 2002, Wickrematunge’s mother left Sri Lanka due to the constant threats against their family, taking her and her brothers to Australia.In 2007 Wickrematunge returned to Sri Lanka where she lived with her father till his death.
Career and Activism
In April 2019 Wickrematunge filed a civil lawsuit under the Torture Victim’s Protection Act with the Centre for justice and accountability against former Defense Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa in the United States .Rajapaksa was served at a trader joe’s parking lot while on vacation in Los Angeles  
- "Ahimsa Wickrematunge". The Guardian. London. 8 January 2019. Text "accessdate 9 April 2019 " ignored (help)
- Wickrematunge, Ahimsa (9 January 2019). "What they did to my father and why the did it". rsf. Sri Lanka. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- Wickrematunge, Ahimsa (9 January 2019). "darkest day 10 years lasantha wickrematunge assassination". The Xindex. Sri Lanka. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "Sri Lanka ex president sued over torture and killings". msn news. 7 April 2019. Archived from the original on 7 April 2019. Retrieved 8 January 2019.
- "Sri Lanka slating anniversary highlights". Daily Mail. 7 January 2019. Archived from the original on 7 January 2019. Retrieved 8 January 2019.