Ahlbeck (near Ueckermünde)
|Municipal assoc.||Am Stettiner Haff|
|• Mayor||Josef Schnellhammer (CDU)|
|• Total||18.66 km2 (7.20 sq mi)|
|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|• Density||33/km2 (86/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The municipality of Ahlbeck is located at the eastern part of the Ueckermünde Heath, which is an extensive forest area near the Polish border. With the districts Gegensee and Ludwigshof, Ahlbeck surrounds the northwestern part of a former lake drained by colonists (Ahlbecker See). This wetland, called Seegrund, is a nature reserve about six kilometres long and about two kilometres wide. The Neuwarper See - a bay of the Szczecin Lagoon - is about five kilometres away from Ahlbeck. A military training area of the Bundeswehr takes its place in the southwest of Ahlbeck (Karpin - Spechtberg - Drögeheide). The nearest town is Eggesin and it is eight kilometres away.
- Gegensee - with some thatched timber framed houses from the Wilhelmine Period and a holiday settlement (bungalows and huts)
- Ludwigshof (a district since 1912) - including a riding stable and the Ludwigshofer See
Places of interest
- The village church Ahlbeck is a baroque, stately, rectangular timber framed church from 1759. The tower has an open dome. The furnishings (altar, pulpit, matroneum) dates back to the 18th century. It is one of the finest examples of a timber framed church in northern Germany.
- The sepulchral chapel of the von Voss family in the cemetery dates from the 2nd half of the 19th century.
- The entire, relatively uniform townscape of the village with its mostly eaves timber framed houses.
- "Bevölkerungsstand der Kreise, Ämter und Gemeinden in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern 31.12.2017". Statistisches Amt Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (in German). October 2018.
- Dehio: Handbuch der deutschen Kunstdenkmäler.
|This Vorpommern-Greifswald location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|