Ahmad Ibrahim Secondary School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Ahmad Ibrahim Secondary School|
|Type||Government, co-educational and secondary|
|Principal||Chew Ing Lim|
Green, Red and Silver
Ahmad Ibrahim Secondary School (AISS) is a co-educational public school. Originally named Ahmad Ibrahim Integrated Secondary School, it was in the Sembawang Hills Estate in Upper Thomson. It was then the second integrated school to be built in Singapore. The school begun functioning in 1963, with both Chinese and English streams. Today, the school is in the satellite town of Yishun and is well-known to be traditionally strong in shooting.
The school is named posthumously after a patriotic Malay statesman, Mr. Ahmad Bin Ibrahim, the first Minister for Health in independent Singapore. Remembered as a politician in Singapore's history who "garnered the support of all races at a time when communal relations were sensitive and volatile", he also went on to become the Minister for Health and Labour, and the Member of Parliament for the Sembawang ward.
- The school was declared open by Mr Lee Khoon Choy, Parliamentary Secretary, Minister of Education. AI adopted the motto of Tolerance and Cooperation as its aim was to break away from the language barriers that existed in most schools then. Mr Chia Meng An was appointed as the first Principal.
- In 1967 the school was chosen as the first pilot school for Open Education Programme for the blind, whereby the visually challenged pupils were integrated into the mainstream. This programme helps to place visually impaired students in mainstream secondary school through providing adequate support and facilities.
- In 1985 the school moved to a new building in Yishun. It was the first school to function in that area.
- The last batch of Chinese stream students graduated in 1986.
- In 1987, the school received the Guinness Stout Effort award for its Open Education Program, which was given out by Dr Tan Cheng Bock, Chairman of the Parliamentary Committee on Education.
- In 2006, Ahmad Ibrahim Secondary School is recognised as a Niche Programme School for shooting due to its strong track record.
- In 2012, Ahmad Ibrahim celebrated its 50th anniversary, with Dr Tony Tan launching a heritage gallery and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Law K. Shanmugam launching a student centre as part of the celebrations.
The torch with its red glowing flame symbolizes the light of integrity and the warmth of compassion. The twirling background design together with the torch is a stylized depiction of the letters "ai", the abbreviated form of the school's name. The green colour represents the school's value of harmony in a multi-racial, multi-religious school, and the silver colour its perseverance in the pursuit of excellence.
Uniform and discipline
Junior (secondary 1 and 2) boys wear light grey short trousers. Senior boys wear grey long trousers. Girls wear a green skirt. All students wear a white shirt with the school badge, and white socks.
Conduct marks are given for compliance with the school's expectations, including responsibility and appropriate work habits. Detention and (for male students) corporal punishment are penalties for misbehaviour. For "Category 1" (serious) offences such as truancy, defiance, smoking, vandalism and fighting, at the first offence, boys receive caning plus detention, while girls receive extended detention. The same penalties apply to a repeated "Category 2" offence such as latecoming, chewing gum or use of electronic devices. The less serious offences are punished with detention or Cleaning Work Order.
Niche in shooting
The school has produced several outstanding shooters who went on to represent Singapore in major competitions, and has consistently been ranked highly for the National Inter-school Shooting Championships for its 10 metre air rifle event (as part of the International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) shooting event) despite its humble background as a neighbourhood school in Yishun. After being awarded as the Niche Programme School for shooting, the school has since received a boost in funding, and is allowed to admit students based on their potential in shooting via Direct School Admission. All of the above was achieved by VK Harneysh
- Lin Meijiao: Actress, Mediacorp
- Jasmine Ser: Olympian (shooting), 2012 Summer Olympics
- Judee Tan: Comedian and actress, Mediacorp
- VK Harneysh : Comedian and gangster, on wanted list for Muttons in the Morning.Mediacorp Vasantham
- Toh You Jie : Great asset of AI Basketball team , top and most effective ballpicker. Not to forget his sidekick Mohammed Zafir [WaterBoy]
- "Principal's Message". Ahmad Ibrahim Secondary School.
- Lim, Leonard (17 October 2010). "Shift in strategy hits bull's eye". The Sunday Times. Singapore. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Sing Geok Shan (25 November 2012). "Early S'pore politician remembered at school's anniversary". Channel NewsAsia. Singapore. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "The Ahmad Ibrahim (AI) Spirit - Keeping the Flame Alive". Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Developing more niches of excellence in our schools" (Press release). Ministry of Education. 28 September 2006. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Ahmad Ibrahim Secondary School Identity". Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "Code of Conduct" (PDF). Ahhmad Ibrahim Secondary School. 2009.
- "From Ahmad Ibrahim to Asiad". Retrieved 30 July 2015.