|Yang Berhormat Datuk Haji
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament
for Pontian, Johor
|Preceded by||Hasni Mohamed (UMNO|
30 April 1966 |
Benut, Johor, Malaysia
|Political party||UMNO—Barisan Nasional|
|Alma mater||Victoria University of Wellington
National University of Malaysia
Ahmad was educated at the Victoria University of Wellington and received an MBA from the National University of Malaysia. He was elected to federal Parliament in the 2008 election for the UMNO-held seat of Pontian, previously held by Hasni Mohamed. In April 2009 he was appointed as a Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister's Department. After the 2013 election, he was appointed as the Deputy Finance Minister.
Ahmad has been the information chief of UMNO, an appointed party position, from 2009 until 29 January 2016.
Cost of living
Ahmad drew criticism and sparked anger from citizens after tweeting that all Malaysians should work more than one job to cope with the rising cost of living while stating he himself having 3 jobs to support his life. The citizens were angry because he was only stating his positions in Malaysia cabinet and UMNO instead of actual jobs.
In 2013, when at the peak of oil price, the RON 95 and diesel prices are increased by 20 cents to RM2.30 per litre but Ahmad Maslan claimed that the oil is still cheapest in the region which drew ire from the netizens. Later, he proposed a plan of rationalising subsidy for RON95 prices between middle class and high income bracket to prevent high income bracket from enjoying the subsidies which of the specific details such as the range of high income bracket as well as the foolproof plan not to abuse the system. The citizen were angry due to reasons of rationalising petrol subsidy is to prevent the subsidy which are enjoyed more by high income brackets who are driving gas guzzling luxurious car compared to middle and lower income groups who only afford to ride the motorcycles as it implies that middle income class are unable to afford cars.
Thru his Department Agency, PEMANDU, Ahmad Maslan claimed that poverty in Malaysia is almost declining until it can be considered as wiped out to meagre 1% but many to the citizens and economists refutes the statistic. Even the European Union (EU) is considered one of the economics tanks, the poverty rate still hovers around 6%. Plus, the current worldwide economics downturns,increasing cost of living and values of Ringgit is sliding are in effect making the poverty rate rose instead of declining. The PEMANDU agency assess the poverty line at RM763 per household making everyone in household of four need to survive only on RM6 per day.
Ahmad drew ire from netizens when he claimed BR1M (Bantuan Rakyat 1 Malaysia) is not for luxurious purposes while he show off iPhone 6 to the audiences. Once again, the netizens were angered as the BR1M assistance worth of RM950 to the hardcore poor wouldn't still be enough to buy iPhone 6 which costs about RM3100 for 16GB versions.
Ahmad provokes controversies as no GST will be imposed on luxurious food such as abalone, oyster and lobsters which are consider to be luxurious food. Many claimed that the exemptions is due to the current government is investing into the luxurious seafood produces in Sabah.
He claimed that the poor people do not to eat local fruits as they cannot afford it, and they planted bananas instead of buying from stores. Therefore, the fruits are implemented under GST.
He is ridiculed  after claiming that GST will lower down the prices of 225 items  but in truth, the cost of daily necessities rises by approximately 10% since the implementation of GST in April 2015.
In an UiTM GST Seminar in April 2015, he even claimed that to avoid GST, you can cook your own fried rice. This advice is criticised by students as the most of the daily necessities are imposed with GST as well as Malaysian university hostel does not allowed cooking.
|2008||Ahmad Maslanan (UMNO)||23,121||70%||Mohd Annuar Mohd Salleh (PKR)||8,677||26%|
|2013||Ahmad Maslan (UMNO)||27,804||65%||Haniff Ghazali Hosman (PKR)||14,077||33%|
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- "Ten Fresh Faces in Najib's Administration". Bernama. 9 April 2009. Retrieved 1 March 2010.
- Anisah Shukri and G. Vinod."New cabinet list – who’s in and who’s out", Free Malaysia Today, 15 May 2013. Retrieved on 20 May 2013.
- "Work 2 Jobs to Cover Rising Cost of Living, Says Ahmad Maslan - The Malaysian Insider." Work 2 Jobs to Cover Rising Cost of Living, Says Ahmad Maslan - The Malaysian Insider. The Malaysian Insider, 27 December 2015. Web. 28 December 2015.
- "Ahmad Maslan on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Fuel price still among lowest in the world". Free Malaysia Today. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "RON95 petrol at market rates for Malaysians on higher incomes starting next June". Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "We could build 40 universities with fuel subsidy amount, says Ahmad Maslan". Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Fuel subsidy rationalisation raises investor confidence, says Ahmad Maslan". BorneoPost Online - Borneo , Malaysia, Sarawak Daily News. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Pemandu: Poverty almost wiped out in M'sia". Malaysiakini. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Can you live on RM6 a day, asks Suaram in poverty challenge". Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "BR1M bukan untuk bermewah, kata Ahmad Maslan sambil tayang iPhone 6 baru". Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "BR1M not for luxuries, says Ahmad Maslan while showing off new iPhone 6". Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "No need BR1M if only 1pct M'sians in poverty". Malaysiakini. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "'BR1M inconsistent with poverty rate'". Malaysia Today. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "No GST on salmon and lobster". Free Malaysia Today. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Nurul Izzah: BN Exempts GST On Lobsters To Let Crony Companies Profit". Malaysian Digest. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "GST for oranges, but not lobsters". Free Malaysia Today. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Ahmad Maslan ridiculed for saying GST will lower prices". Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "295 products should be cheaper after GST, says Ahmad Maslan". Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Instead of informing, Ahmad Maslan annoys UiTM students at GST briefing". Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "I am prepared for the criticisms, says Ahmad Maslan". The Rakyat Post. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Ahmad Maslan dikritik saran pelajar masak bagi elak beban GST". Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Students criticise Ahmad Maslans cook your own meal advice". Retrieved 17 February 2016.