Ahmed Sultan Bin Sulayem
|Ahmed Sultan Bin Sulayem|
Ahmed Sultan Bin Sulayem addresses delegates at 7th City of Gold Conference
March 13, 1978
|Residence||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Alma mater||California State University, San Bernardino, California|
|Occupation||Executive Chairman of the Dubai Multi Commodities Centre Authority (DMCC)|
Ahmed Sultan Bin Sulayem (Arabic: أحمد سلطان بن سليّم) is the Executive Chairman of the Dubai Multi Commodities Centre Authority (DMCC), the free zone authority for Jumeirah Lakes Towers which was established in 2002 as a strategic initiative of the Government of Dubaito provide the physical, market and financial infrastructure required to set up a commodities market place in Dubai. As of June 2014, the DMCC Free Zone had over 8,700 registered members including both commodities and other businesses. In 2013, Bin Sulayem completed 12 years with DMCC.
As the Executive Chairman of DMCC, Bin Sulayem has played a key role in establishing and positioning DMCC as a major commodities trade hub in the region. Under his leadership, DMCC has introduced a number of value-added products and services; this includes the establishment of the Dubai Diamond Exchange (DDE), the only diamond exchange in the Arab World affiliated to the World Federation of Diamond Bourses; Dubai Tea Trading Centre (DTTC) which offers a range of value-added facilities to the global tea trade and has contributed to the UAE becoming the world's largest re-exporter of tea; DMCC Tradeflow, a central registry of ownership for commodities stored in Dubai stimulating commodity trade by offering enforceable collateral based trade finance solutions; as well as other services, such as gold refineries, gold and diamond vaults; as well as the UAE gold bullion coins and the Visions of Dubai gold souvenir coins.
Bin Sulayem joined DMCC in 2001 as a director, prior to the entity’s official launch in 2002, and his responsibilities included overseeing the organisation’s operations. Today, he is the Executive Chairman of DMCC, as well as the director of Human Resources, Director of Dubai Shariah Asset Management (DSAM) and Dubai Commodity Asset Management (DCAM).
He has also played a leading role in reviving Dubai’s traditional pearling industry by launching the Dubai Pearl Exchange in 2007 and conceptualised the idea behind Almas Tower, the tallest commercial building in the Middle East, home to Dubai Diamond Exchange, the largest vault in the UAE, and DMCC headquarters. In July 2013, Bin Sulayem announced DMCC's plans to construct the tallest commercial tower in the world as part of its expansion plans. Currently in the concept design phase, the DMCC Business Park and the world's tallest commercial tower will cater to large corporations and mutli-nationals that require significant floor space to buy or rent. The business park will comprise 107,000 square metres of premium commercial and retail space.
In April 2011, DMCC hosted the World Federation of Diamond Bourse's annual Presidents' meeting, an initiative spearheaded by Bin Sulayem. This event was the first of its kind to be held in the Arab world. In addition, on August 15, 2011, Bin Sulayem unveiled the prototype of the UAE's first gold bullion coin. The coin recognises the visionary leadership of His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the United Arab Emirates and His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai. Designed by DMCC, the “Khalifa” coin features a portrait of His Highness Sheikh Khalifa on one side, and on the other, Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest tower.
Following the announcement of its first gold UAE bullion coin in August 2011, on 2 December 2011, DMCC released the first design impressions of the second UAE bullion coin as part of DMCC’s celebration of the 40th anniversary of the UAE and in recognition of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai. Titled “Palm Jumeirah”, the gold coin features a portrait of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum on one side, and on the other, an image of the iconic Palm Jumeirah. The coin is the second in a series and follows the “Burj Khalifa” coin which was successfully launched last August, and paid tribute to His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE.
DMCC is also in discussions with the UAE Central Bank to designate the gold bullion coins as the first legal tender in the UAE and the Middle East as a whole.
In June 2012, Bin Sulayem received UN accreditation to represent Western Asia on behalf of CIBJO, the international jewellery confederation of national trade organisations. CIBJO has been a consultative member of ECOSOC, the United Nations Economic and Social Council, since 2006. ECOSOC is one of the largest agencies operating under the United Nations umbrella, and is a coalition involving government, civil society and the business community.
In June 2013, he received the Crowe Horwath Award for 'Government Personality of the Year.' This was presented to Bin Sulayem for his role in the expansion of the global commodities sector; his commitment towards establishing Dubai as the global gateway to trade; DMCC’s contribution to Dubai’s economy through the over 7,400 companies operating from its free zone; his efforts in developing Dubai’s Islamic Finance sector through pioneering products and services; and his social and philanthropic work focused on society, culture and heritage.
Also in June 2013, Bin Sulayem became recognised as a prominent fan of the LA Lakers due to the full page advertisement he took out in the LA Times paying tribute to Kobe Bryant. The ad thanked Kobe Bryant for his contributions to the LA Lakers and wished him a speedy recovery. In September 2013, Bin Sulayem hosted Kobe Bryant's first trip to the UAE as part of the DMCC Kobe Bryant Health and Fitness Weekend  where he also presented Bryant with a DMCC Free Zone license.
Bin Sulayem is also the Chairman of the Dubai Gold & Commodities Exchange (DGCX), an initiative of DMCC, Financial Technologies (India) Limited and the Multi Commodity Exchange of India Limited (MCX).
</ref> Since its inception, over 29.5 million contracts have been traded at a value in excess of US$1.18 trillion. DGCX has experienced strong growth in the first seven years of its operation, with year on year volumes increasing by 48% in 2007, 26% in 2008, 32% in 2009, 28% in 2010, 110% in 2011 and 137% in 2012.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, California State University – San Bernardino, 2000
- 2001: Director, Pre-Implementation DMCC Authority.
- May 2002: Chief Operating Officer, DMCC
- February 2006 Vice President, DDE
- July 2006 - May 2009: General Manager, JLT
- May 2007: Executive Chairman, DMCC
- June 2007: Director Seven Tides International
- September 2007: Director: Seven Tides Limited
- November 2007, Chairman, DGCX
- March 2008: Director, DCAM and DSAM
- April 2011: HR Director and Executive Chairman, DMCC
- June 2012: UN accreditation to represent Western Asia on behalf of CIBJO
- June 2013: Government Personality of the Year award by Crowe Horwath
- January 2014: Outstanding Contribution to Islamic Finance Award, Mena Fund Manager Performance Awards
Awards and honours
- Honoured by the New York Diamond Dealers Club (DDC) in 2006 as part of its 75th anniversary celebrations for contributing to the global diamond industry.
- Received Middle East Investor Award at the Hedge Funds World Middle East Conference 2010.
- Government Personality of the Year award by Crowe Horwath - June 2013
- Outstanding Contribution to Islamic Finance Award, Mena Fund Manager Performance Awards - January 2014
- Outstanding Contribution of the Year Award, Jewellery News Asia, September 2014
Ahmed Sultan Bin Sulayem presents Dubai Cut Diamond to H. H Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
- "DMCC". dmcc.ae. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Community portal". www.jlt.ae. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- Dubai Government. "dubai.ae". dubai.ae. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Dubai Multi Commodities Centre's continuous growth sets the stage for major expansion". www.ameinfo.com. July 9, 2013. Archived from the original on July 14, 2013.
- "Dubai Diamond Exchange". dmcc.ae. Archived from the original on May 26, 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "World Federation of Diamond Bourses". wfdb.com. 2011-07-14. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Dubai Tea Trading Centre". dmcc.ae. Archived from the original on 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- http://www.gulfmanagers.com/news-3749-it-s-my-cup-of-tea.html[dead link]
- "Tradeflow". dmcc.ae. Archived from the original on 2012-09-20. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "UAE Gold Bullion Coins - DMCC". www.uaegoldbullioncoins.ae.
- "Visions of Dubai". dmcc.ae. Archived from the original on 2011-12-24. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Asset management". dmcc.ae. Archived from the original on October 1, 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Dubai Pearl Exchange". dmcc.ae. Archived from the original on March 27, 2012. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "DMCC gold vault". dmcc.ae. Archived from the original on March 27, 2012. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "DMCC's Ahmed Bin Sulayem announces plans to build world's tallest commercial tower". www.ameinfo.com. Archived from the original on 2013-07-07.
- "Former South African President Mbeki: UAE has successfully developed into one of the major players in the diamond industry". dmcc.ae. Archived from the original on September 29, 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "DMCC unveils UAE's 1st gold bullion coin". khaleejtimes.com. August 15, 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "United Nations accreditation for Ahmed bin Sulayem". www.zawya.com. Archived from the original on 2013-02-10. (Subscription required (. ))
- "CIBJO President Addresses ECOSOC in NY". www.diamonds.net. July 11, 2012.
- "The World Jewellery Confederation". www.cibjo.org. Retrieved April 15, 2017.
- "Bin Sulayem receives Horwath Mak Award for Government Personality of the Year". english.mubasher.info. June 13, 2013.
- Daniel Buerge (9 June 2013). "Fan Takes Out Full-Page L.A. Times Ad Thanking Kobe Bryant". Lakers Nation.
- "DMCC presents the Kobe Bryant Health & Fitness Weekend Celebrity Basketball Game". Time Out Dubai.
- Mary Sophia (26 September 2013). "NBA Champion Kobe Bryant To Open Health Business In Dubai". Gulf Business.
- "Board of Directors » Dubai Gold & Commodities Exchange". www.dgcx.ae. Retrieved April 15, 2017.
- Sundaram, Anjan (October 22, 2006). "Jewish Diamonds Find Favor in Arab Dubai - washingtonpost.com". www.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "DMCC Executive Chairman Receives 'Middle East Investor Award' At Hedge Funds World Middle East Conference - Middle East Events". www.middleeastevents.com. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "UAE Minister of Economy Presents DMCC's Ahmed Bin Sulayem With Award for Outstanding Contribution to Islamic Finance". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "Industry leaders take home trophies at 2014 JNA Awards - JNA". www.jewellerynewsasia.com. Retrieved April 15, 2017.
Media related to Ahmed Sultan Bin Sulayem at Wikimedia Commons