|Ahmedabad Civil Hospital|
|Location||Asarva, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India|
|Lists||Hospitals in India|
Ahmedabad Civil Hospital is a public hospital located in Ahmedabad, India, with facilities for specialised diagnostic, therapeutic and rehabilitative patient care. The hospital campus spans 110 acres (45 ha) of land and houses the Gujarat Medical Council and Gujarat Nursing Council. It is affiliated to B.J. Medical College in Ahmedabad.
The hospital traces its origins to 1858, when it was founded with the help of donations given by Shri Hutheesing, Shri Premabhai and Surgeon General D Wyllie, for a total cost of 96,000. It had rooms for 92 inpatients. Every year, the hospital admits around 70,000 patients, conducts 26,000 surgeries, and performs 6,500 deliveries.
In 2019, the hospital inaugurated a new 1,200-bed building within the campus, built at a cost of Rs 395 crore. Earlier that month, hundreds of contractual employees of the hospital protested the incomplete payment of salaries.
COVID-19 pandemic in Gujarat
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Gujarat High Court highlighted the poor health infrastructure of the hospital, calling conditions in the hospital "pathetic" and "as good as a dungeon", highlighting the lack of ventilators and lack of accountability by senior physicians. After a few days, a new bench of the High Court noted that "administration has geared up and is doing quite well" after observing that the hospital had additional healthcare staff along with 47 ventilators.
- Gazetteer of the Bombay Presidency: Ahmedabad. Printed at the Government Central Press. 1879.
- "Top 10 largest hospitals in the world". healthcareglobal. 15 June 2018. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "PM Narendra Modi inaugurates 1200-bed New Civil Hospital in Ahmedabad". DeshGujarat. 4 March 2019. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "PM Modi to inaugurate 1,200-bed hospital in Ahmedabad city". The Indian Express. 5 February 2019. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- Ghosh, Sohini (24 May 2020). "Civil Hospital worse than dungeon, says Gujarat HC". The Indian Express. Ahmedabad. Retrieved 1 June 2020.
- Langa, Mahesh (24 May 2020). "Ahmedabad civil hospital conditions pathetic, painful: Gujarat HC". The Hindu. Retrieved 1 June 2020.
- "Gujarat High Court now praises state govt: 'we would have been dead'". The Indian Express. 1 June 2020. Retrieved 30 April 2021.