Whitney Ahney Her
1992 (age 26–27)
Lansing, Michigan, U.S.
|Other names||Ahney Her|
Whitney Cua Her (born 1992), better known by her stage name Ahney Her, is an American actress. She is of Hmong descent.
Early life and education
Ahney Her was born and raised in Lansing, Michigan, where she had completed high school at Sexton High School when cast for Gran Torino. She had studied drama in a local talent school for three years.
Her first film role was in the 2008 film Gran Torino, directed by Clint Eastwood. In Gran Torino, Eastwood plays a Korean War veteran who helps a Hmong American family in his Detroit neighborhood. She plays Sue Lor, the intelligent, witty older sister of Thao Vang Lor, who was portrayed by Bee Vang. She was 16 years old at the time of the film's opening in wide release on January 9, 2009.
She was cast in the film after responding to an open casting call sign-up at a soccer tournament. The open call was specifically looking for potential Hmong actors. In a 2009 interview with The Grand Rapids Press, she recalled, "I didn't believe it, 'cause the tent said, you know, 'Clint Eastwood movie' or something like that, 'Hmong people needed.' And I'm like, 'OK, yeah right. Like this would happen.' Out of all people, Hmong people? No."
- Gran Torino (2008) - Sue Lor
- Night Club (2011) - Nikki
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) - Hostage Girl #1
- "Teen Talks About Her Role in Michigan-Made Movie". WLNS TV6. Lansing/Jackson, Michigan. January 13, 2009. Retrieved May 31, 2010.
- Recker, Rachel (2009-01-09). "Gran Torino actress Ahney Her returns to Michigan for opening night". The Grand Rapids Press. Retrieved 2009-01-11.
- Schein, Louisa (October 4, 2008). "Hmong Actors Making History". Hmong Today. Archived from the original on June 17, 2011. Retrieved May 31, 2010.
|This article about a United States film actor or actress born in the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|