Aida Rodriguez in 2007
|Birth name||Aida Margarita Parada Rodriguez|
|Born||August 29, 1977|
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Alma mater||Florida State University (withdrew)|
|Spouse||Omar Ellison (m. ?; divorced)|
Aida Margarita Parada Rodriguez (born August 29, 1977) is an American comedian of Puerto Rican/Dominican descent who is best known for her appearance as a contestant on the eighth season of Last Comic Standing and as a commentator on The Young Turks. She is also an actress, producer, writer, and podcaster.
Aida was born in Boston, Massachusetts and taken to the Dominican Republic shortly afterward. As a child, her mother kidnapped her from her father in the Dominican Republic, and brought her to the U.S. Her grandmother and uncle would later abduct her from her mother's home in New York and bring her to Florida, in an attempt to protect her from her mother's boyfriend. Her uncle was later murdered in a hate crime. She attended Florida State University where she met her future husband Omar Ellison. She studied English and law, but left before graduating after she became pregnant. She was recruited by modeling agency IMG. She and Ellison later divorced.
Rodriguez moved to Los Angeles in the early 2000s with her two children after her divorce from Ellison. After a bout with anorexia and a divorce, she turned to comedy for healing. For a time, she and her children were homeless and lived out of a car.
Rodriguez attempts to transform painful episodes of her life into comedy material, while also addressing difficult issues such as misogyny and racism.
Aida was a top ten finalist in the eighth season of NBC's Last Comic Standing (2014), but was eliminated in the seventh episode of the season after losing a head-to-head showdown against Rod Man (who ultimately won the LCS title). She finished in a tie for ninth place.
Through the stand-up comedy circuit, Rodriguez met Tiffany Haddish, who has proven a long-time friend and a strong advocate for women of color comics. In August 2019, she was featured in the comedy anthology series Tiffany Haddish Presents: They Ready on Netflix, hosted by Tiffany Haddish. She was one of six featured comedians, each given a half-hour comedy special.
- The Greatest Song Salma Munoz (2008)
- Stand Up and Deliver Comic (2013)
- Last Comic Standing Season 8 finalist (2014)
- Tiffany Haddish Presents: They Ready (2019)
- The Black Box Office Archived 2010-03-17 at the Wayback Machine
- "Aida Rodriguez". IMDb.
- "Comedian Aida Rodriguez Explains How Her Kids Inspired Her to Keep Doing Stand-Up". People en Español. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- Westenfeld, Adrienne (2019-08-22). "Aida Rodriguez Was Kidnapped Twice. Now That's Part of Her Stand-Up". Esquire. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- San Juan, Rebecca; Miami (2016-03-06). "Last Comic Standing's Afro-Latina Funny Woman Aida Rodriguez". HipLatina. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- "Tiffany Haddish's New Standup Comedy Series Features A Mom You Need To Know About". Romper. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- Bentley, Jean. "All Your New Favorite Comedians From Tiffany Haddish's". www.refinery29.com. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- Foundation, Imagen. "Announcing the Winners of the 33rd Annual Imagen Awards". Imagen Foundation. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- "'She Took A Pay Cut And Said I Want Them To Have An Opportunity': Aida Rodriguez On Netflix's 'Tiffany Haddish Presents: They Ready'". 2019-08-14. Retrieved 2019-12-09.