20 December 1979 |
(Bachelor of Arts in Tourism)
|Occupation||Tourism officer, businesswoman, politician|
|Years active||2003 — present|
|Title||State Minister for Lands|
Aidah Erios Nantaba is a Ugandan politician. She is the State Minister for Lands in the Cabinet of Uganda. She was appointed to that position on 15 August 2012. Nantaba is also the elected Member of Parliament for Kayunga District Women's Constituency, on the National Resistance Movement (NRM) political party ticket.
Background and education
She was born in Kayunga District on 20 December 1979. She attended Ndeeba Primary School in Kayunga District from 1986 to 1992, where she finished her Primary Leaving Examinations. Her father did not have money enough to take her to a very good secondary school so she joined Ndeeba Senior Secondary School for her S1 in 1993. Villagers in Kisoga village in Kayunga recall how she used to be carried on a bicycle by a brother to school, about 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) from their home, daily. In 1994, Nantaba's mother acquired some money and Nantaba was moved from Ndeeba SSS to Katikamu SDA SSS where she studied from S2 to S6, from February 1994 to November 1998. On 26 September 1999, Nantaba was admitted to Makerere University, together with the brother who used to ferry her to school, for a degree in tourism. She undertook an undergraduate student research project, "Medicinal Plants As Tourism Potential: Case Study of Uganda Wildlife Educational Center (UWEC)", which was supervised by Professor J. B. Nyakaana. Nantaba has a Bachelor of Tourism degree, obtained in 2003 from Makerere University.
In 2003, following her graduation from Makerere, she worked as a tourism officer with Pearl of Africa Tours and Travel Limited. She left that job in late 2003. Beginning in 2005, she served on the board of directors of Jordan Laboratories Limited, a distributor of photographic and printing equipment. In 2010, she joined active elective politics by contesting the Kayunga District Women's Parliamentary Constituency. She won the NRM political party primary by defeating the incumbent, Florence Naiga. In 2011, she was elected during the general election. In a cabinet reshuffle on 15 August 2012, she was appointed as State Minister for Lands, replacing Sarah Opendi Achieng. After weeks of protracted confirmation hearings, the Appointments Committee of Parliament finally confirmed her appointment on 23 October 2012.
- Committee on Tourism, Trade and Industry
- Committee on HIV/AIDS and Related Matters
- Butagira, Tabu (15 August 2012). "Museveni Reshuffles Cabinet, Makes Marginal Changes". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- POU. "Profile of Nantaba Idah Erios, Member of Parliament for Woman Representative, Kayunga District". Parliament of Uganda (POU). Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- New Vision (15 August 2012). "Full Uganda Cabinet List As of 15th August 2012". Facebook.com. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- John Odyek, and Henry Sekanjako (23 October 2012). "Appointments Committee Rescinds Position On Nantaba". Retrieved 14 February 2015.