|Full name||Aiden Kyle Markram|
4 October 1994 |
Centurion, Gauteng, South Africa
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Bowling||Right-arm off break|
|Test debut (cap 332)||28 September 2017 v Bangladesh|
|Last Test||1 March 2018 v Australia|
|ODI debut (cap 122)||22 October 2017 v Bangladesh|
|Last ODI||10 February 2018 v India|
|Domestic team information|
Source: Cricinfo, 3 March 2018
Markram made his First class debut for Northerns cricket team against South Western Districts on 9 October 2014. He was included in the Northerns cricket team squad for the 2015 Africa T20 Cup. In 2016, Markram was club professional for Walkden in the Bolton Cricket League.
In May 2017, he was named Domestic Newcomer of the Year at Cricket South Africa's annual awards. In August 2017, he was named in Nelson Mandela Bay Stars' squad for the first season of the T20 Global League. However, in October 2017, Cricket South Africa postponed the tournament until November 2018.
In June 2017, he was named in South Africa’s Test squad for their series against England, but did not play. In August 2017, he was named as captain of the South Africa A cricket team for their two four-day matches against India A.
Record breaking start
After narrowly missing out on a maiden Test century on debut, Markram completed the feat in the second Test against Bangladesh on 6 October 2017 scoring 143 off 186 balls before being bowled by Rubel Hossain.
In October 2017, he was added to South Africa's One Day International (ODI) squad ahead of the third match against Bangladesh, replacing Hashim Amla. He made his ODI debut for South Africa against Bangladesh on 22 October 2017, scored 66 runs and took 2 wickets.
In December 2017, he scored his 2nd Test hundred and became the first South Africa player to score two centuries in his first three Tests.
One Day International captaincy
In February 2018, South Africa's captain Faf du Plessis was ruled out of the last five ODIs and the Twenty20 International (T20I) series against India due to a finger injury. Markram was named as South Africa's captain for the remaining ODI fixtures in du Plessis' absence.He, at the age of 23 years 123 days, is the second youngest player to captain South Africa in ODIs after Greame Smith.
|Aiden Markram’s Test centuries|
|1||143||2||Bangladesh||Bloemfontein, South Africa||Mangaung Oval||6 October 2017||Won|
|2||125||3||Zimbabwe||Port Elizabeth, South Africa||St George's Park||26 December 2017||Won|
|3||143||7||Australia||Durban, South Africa||Kingsmead Cricket Ground||1 March 2018||Lost|
Man of the Match awards
|S No||Series||Season||Match Performance||Result|
|1||Only Test - Zimbabwe in South Africa Test Series||2017/18||1st Innings: 125 (204 balls, 14x4, 2x6)
2nd Innings: DNB
|South Africa won by an innings and 120 runs.|
- "Aiden Markram leading South Africa U-19". ESPNcricinfo. 5 March 2014.
- Balachandran, Kanishkaa (28 February 2014). "Composed Markram leading by example". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- Selvaraj, Jonathan (2 March 2014). "Failure a stepping stone for Markram". The Indian Express. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Best-player Markram 'not at his best'". SuperSport. 2 March 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Sunfoil 3-Day Cup – Pool A: South Western Districts v Northerns at Oudtshoorn, 9–11 October 2014". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Northerns Squad / Players – ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "De Kock dominates South Africa's awards". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "T20 Global League announces final team squads". T20 Global League. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Cricket South Africa postpones Global T20 league". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "Kuhn, Phehlukwayo in South Africa's Test squad". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "Quick turnaround for Markram with A-team captaincy". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Markram set for Test debut against Bangladesh". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "1st Test, Bangladesh tour of South Africa at Potchefstroom, Sep 28-Oct 2 2017". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "Amla rested for final ODI; Markram called up". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- "3rd ODI, Bangladesh tour of South Africa at East London, Oct 22 2017". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "Markram's record-breaking start". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- "Finger injury rules Du Plessis out of India ODI and T20 Series". Cricket South Africa. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- "Aiden Markram to fill in as South Africa captain". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Records | One-Day Internationals | Individual records (captains, players, umpires) | Youngest captains | ESPNcricinfo". Cricinfo. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- "Only Test (D/N), Zimbabwe tour of South Africa [Dec 2018] at Port Elizabeth, Dec 26-27 2017". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 27 December 2017.