|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Jean-Paul Lardy|
|Area1||7.8 km2 (3.0 sq mi)|
|• Density||73/km2 (190/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||07002 /07200|
|Elevation||258–544 m (846–1,785 ft)
(avg. 406 m or 1,332 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Ailhonnais or Ailhonnaises
Located at an altitude of 406 metres, Ailhon is a commune in the Canton of Aubenas and the Arrondissement of Largentière, some 5 km south-west of Aubenas. It can be accessed by the D223 road from Prades in the north, a tortuous mountain road which continues south through the commune, without passing near the village, to join the D103. Access to the village is by the D235 from Aubenas in the north-east to the hamlet of La Charberterie in the north of the commune then the D359 south to the village continuing south to Merzelet. The commune is characterised by a large area with mountainous terrain heavily forested with a network of small mountain roads and many scattered hamlets.
Numerous streams cover the commune with the Ruisseau du Gary rising in the north and flowing the length of the commune gathering many tributaries south-west to join La Lanche which forms the south-western border of the commune. There is also the Auzon which rises just north of the commune and forms the eastern border gathering many tributaries and continues south to join the Ardeche near Saint-Sernin. The Ruisseau d'Ailhon flows through the village east to join the Auzon.
A prehistoric tomb at Gay and many vestiges at Daus attest to human presence since antiquity.
It was in 1298 when the name of the noble family of Ailhon (Ailhou in patois and Alho in Latin) appeared for the first time when Pierre d'Ailhon sold a nearby fortified house to the house of Mirabel.
During the Wars of Religion, particularly from 1586 to 1591, the village paid a heavy price: the fort was taken and retaken and nothing remains except a tower in the Chabert house south of the village.
In 1670, Ailhon participated in the Roure Revolt, a rebellion caused by a disastrous harvest followed by a rumour of an increase in taxes. The insurgents armed only with scythes and sticks were massacred by the king's armies on the plain of Lavilledieu. The leader of the revolt, Anthoine du Roure, was arrested in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and broken on the wheel in Montpellier on 29 October 1670. His body was then exposed on the high road from Montpellier to Nimes and his head placed on top of the Porte Saint-Antoine in Aubenas. A square Jacques Roure was dedicated to his memory in Aubenas (on the proposal of Councillor Durand in 1896). Another square (Anthoine du Roure) also bears his name in Lachapelle-sous-Aubenas.
List of Successive Mayors of Ailhon
- Mayors from 1977
|2008||2014||Jean Paul Lardy||Mayor|
(Not all data is known)
In 2010 the commune had 502 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Distribution of Age Groups
Percentage Distribution of Age Groups in Ailhon and Ardèche Department in 2009
|0 to 14 Years||18.7||19.8||18.7||16.9|
|15 to 29 Years||14.9||12.8||15.4||14.0|
|30 to 44 Years||18.7||22.9||19.9||18.9|
|45 to 59 Years||27.7||26.0||21.5||20.6|
|60 to 74 Years||15.7||11.0||16.1||16.4|
|75 to 89 Years||3.8||5.7||8.0||11.7|
- Evolution and Structure of the population of the Commune in 2009, INSEE.
- Evolution and Structure of the population of the Department in 2009, INSEE.
Sites and Monuments
- Daus (a Celtic tumulus): prehistoric site
- The Church of Saint André (13th century) is registered as an historical monument. The church was enlarged and revised until the beginning of the 16th century and it houses many sculptures. There is a huge trunk of an Elm tree planted in 1593 - as in many parishes - by order of Maximilien de Béthune, Duke of Sully, to celebrate the conversion to the Catholic religion of Henry IV. Two items in the church are registered as historical objects:
- Communes of the Ardèche department
- Cantons of the Ardèche department
- Arrondissements of the Ardèche department
- Charles Albin Mazon (1828-1908), A Historical Account of the Ancient Parish of Ailhon, Privas, imprimerie centrale, 1905 (in French)
- Ailhon official website (in French)
- Ailhon on the old National Geographic Institute website (in French)
- Ailhon on Lion1906
- Ailhon on Google Maps
- Ailhon on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Ailhon on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Ailhon on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002 , the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Inhabitants of Ardèche (in French)
- Google Maps
- L. Gout, J. Roux, J. Volane, History of the Ardèche, E. Tourrette, Aubenas, 1908 (in French)
- List of Mayors of France
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00116619 Church of Saint André (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM07001052 Sarcophagus cover (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM07000454 Stoup (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ailhon.|