Aimee Baruah is an Assamese actress and filmmaker who has been associated with Assamese Cinema for almost three decades. Her recent directorial debut Semkhor has been critically lauded and felicitated at several film festivals both domestically and internationally.
Aimee Baruah was born in Nagaon. Her mother's name is Mala Baruah and her late father's name is Purna Baruah. Her father was a police superintendent. Her name Aimee was given by her father. It means loved in French. She earned a Bachelors in Economics and a Masters of Arts in Social Work.
Aimee Baruah debuted in Axomor Sadhu Kotha as 'Tejimola' while studying at class 6. She was then cast in Prem aru Prem while still in class 9, landing her first lead role. In course of her career, spanning almost three decades, she has been a part of both critically acclaimed movies like "Kadamtole Krishna Nache", "Jetuka Pator Dore" and "Paani" alongside commercial superhits like "Prem aaru Prem”, “Nijanor Gaan" and "Xoru Buari".
Her directional venture, Dimasa language film Semkhor, has received critical acclaim and has been represented and felicitated at several film festivals. She was awarded the "Best Actress" award at the Toronto International Women's Film Festival. "Semkhor" was the inaugural film of the 'Indian Panorama' section at the 52nd International Film Festival of India, held from 20 to 28 November 2021, and received a "Special Mention" for its content and execution. Other awards include:
1. "Special Audience Award" at the Dhaka international Film Festival
3. "Best Debut Filmmaker", "Best Women's Film" and " Best Narrative" awards at the Tagore International Film Festival
4. "Best Regional Feature Film" and "Best Actress for Regional Feature Film" awards at the Rajasthan International Film Festival
5. "Best Film" at the Kautik International Film Festival
6. Participated in The Berlinale EFM platform/Virtual Indian Screening 2022.
The film has also competed in the 'Golden Peacock' section for various awards.
Aimee Baruah married politician Pijush Hazarika on 1 October 2011. They have two young children. Aimee Baruah and Pijush Hazarika are considered to be one of the youngest power-couples of Assam.
- Prem aru Prem (2002)
- Mone Bisare Tumak (2002)
- Prem Bhara Chakalu (2003)
- Soru Buwari (2004)
- Kadamtole Krishna Nache (2005)
- Aghori Atma (2005)
- Pyar Kar Khatir (Jharkhandi) (2005)
- Prem Pahare Bhoyame (2008)
- Jetuka Pator Dore (2011)
- Doni Pol (Missing) (2011)
- Bakor Putek (2012)
- Karma Ke Rati (2013)
- Mahasamar (2013)
- Mone Mur Koina Bichare (2016)
- Bir Chilaray (2016)
- Pani (2018)
- Nijanor Gaan (2019)
- Pratighat (2019)
- Semkhor (Dimasa) (2021)
She was conferred the 'Best Actress' award in Toronto International Women Film Festival for the award-winning movie Semkhor.
- channel, Ramdhenu (23 November 2018). ON Camera: UD interview with Aimee Boruah.
- Pathak, Bhukhan (4 March 2018). Interview With Assamese Actress Aimee Baruah.
- "Aimee Baruah Bags Best Actress Award at TIWFF for 'Semkhor'". Pratidin Time. 19 August 2021. Retrieved 11 November 2021.
- "First Dimasa language movie to open Indian Panorama at IFFI". Express News Service. The New Indian Express. 6 November 2021. Retrieved 9 November 2021.
- Shemin Joy (11 November 2021). "Three Indian films in IFFI's international competition section". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 11 November 2021 – via Press release.
- "Who's Who". assamassembly.gov.in. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "Assam Panchayat Polls, Actor Aimee Baruah develops back pain!". time8.in. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Actress Aimee Baruah Conferred' Best Actress' award in Toronto International Women Film Festival". 19 August 2021.