Ain't That a Kick in the Head?
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Ain't That a Kick in the Head?"|
|Single by Dean Martin|
|Recorded||May 10, 1960|
|Composer(s)||Jimmy Van Heusen|
|Dean Martin singles chronology|
"Ain't That a Kick in the Head?" is a pop song written in 1960 with music by Jimmy Van Heusen and lyrics by Sammy Cahn. It was first recorded on May 10, 1960, by Dean Martin in a swinging big band jazz arrangement conducted by Nelson Riddle. Martin performed the song in the 1960 heist film Ocean's 11 in an alternate arrangement featuring vibraphonist Red Norvo and his quartet.
Van Heusen and Cahn wrote the song specifically for the 1960 film Ocean's 11, though it was initially referred to press as "Ain't That a Kick in the Seat". Dean Martin's single was released before the film, which premiered on August 10, 1960.
Despite being listed on the "Very Strong Sales Potential" list in Billboard's "Reviews of This Week's Singles", Dean Martin's initial release failed to chart. However, the song has become strongly associated with Martin and—despite never technically being a "hit" in terms of sales or radio play—has been released on many Dean Martin "greatest hits" albums, such as Dino: The Essential Dean Martin, Greatest Hits (Capitol), and Greatest Hits (EMI), as well as many swing and easy listening compilations. Contributing to this association is his performance of the song in Ocean's Eleven, which is considered the "quintessential" Rat Pack film.
- Zhito, Lee (1 February 1960). "On the Soundtrack". Billboard (Vol. 72, No. 5). Nielsen Business Media, Inc. p. 33. Retrieved 19 February 2018.
- "Reviews of This Week's Singles". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 25 July 1960. p. 45. Retrieved 19 February 2018.
- Billboard Archive Search, 1960
- "Show Music" (Vol 7). Max O. Preeo. 1991. p. 76. Retrieved 19 February 2018.
- "Ain't That a Kick in the Head - Dean Martin Song Info". AllMusic.
- Mott, Patrick (February 2000). "The Dean of Las Vegas". Orange Coast Magazine (Vol. 26, No. 2). Emmis Communications. Retrieved 19 February 2018.