Ain't Life Grand (Widespread Panic album)
|Ain't Life Grand|
|Studio album by Widespread Panic|
|Released||September 6, 1994|
|Genre||Rock, southern rock, jam|
|Widespread Panic chronology|
Ain't Life Grand is the fourth studio album by the Athens, GA based band Widespread Panic. The band held a CD release party at Smith's Olde Bar in Atlanta on August 28, 1994. It was first released to the public by Capricorn Records and Warner Bros. Records on September 6, 1994. It would later be re-released in 2001 by Zomba Music Group. On July 3, 2014 the band announced that Ain't Life Grand would be reissued on Vinyl in August, 2014. The reissue will be distributed via ThinkIndie distribution and sold only at participating independent record stores.
The band got minor airplay for their cover of Bloodkin's "Can't Get High," as well as their own "Airplane." They also performed the song Ain't Life Grand at Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA for Good Morning America.
The band begun rehearsing for the album by recording pre-recording sessions at John Keane's home studio like their first album, Space Wrangler. They were so pleased with the results that they decided to use the sessions for Ain't Life Grand instead of going into the studio on a future date with their producer Johnny Sandlin.
The album reached a peak position of #84 on the Billboard 200 chart.
All songs by Widespread Panic except where otherwise noted.
- "Little Kin" – 5:04
- "Ain't Life Grand" – 4:48
- "Airplane" – 4:11
- "Can't Get High" (Carter/Hutchens) – 3:49
- "Heroes" – 5:06
- "Raise the Roof" – 4:44
- "Junior" (Kimbrough/Spring) – 4:34
- "L.A." – 4:12
- "Blackout Blues" – 5:17
- "Jack" – 7:06
- "Fishwater" – 6:10
- Hidden Track "Waiting for the Wind to Blow Down the Tree in My Back Yard" – 1:47
- John Bell – Guitar, Mandolin, Vocals
- John Hermann - Keyboards, Vocals
- Michael Houser – Guitar, vocals
- Todd Nance – Drums, Vocals
- Domingo S. Ortiz – Percussion
- Dave Schools - Bass
- David Blackmon – Fiddle
- Eric Carter – Vocals
- Adriene Fishe – Vocals
- John Keane – Guitar, Pedal Steel, Vocals
- Dwight Manning – Oboe
- John Keane – Producer, Engineer, Mixing
- Clif Norrell - Mixing
- Caram Costanzo – Mixing
- Benny Quinn – Mastering
- David Barbe – Assistant Engineer
- Marcia Beverley – Art Direction
- James Mitchell (Michalopoulos) – Artwork
- Jackie Jasper – Photography
- "WidespreadPanic.com: Back Catalog Vinyl Reissues". WidespreadPanic.com.