Life and career
Ain Anger grew up on the Estonian island Saaremaa. He commenced his vocal training at Tallinn's Academy of Music in 1996. After initial professional experience in Estonia, he broadened his repertoire with Leipzig Opera before joining the Ensemble of the Wiener Staatsoper in the 2004/2005 season. Since his house debut as Monterone (Rigoletto) he has sung over 40 roles on Vienna’s main stage including Sarastro (Die Zauberflöte), Philippe II (Don Carlos), Sparafucile (Rigoletto), Titurel (Parsifal), Daland (Der fliegende Holländer), Pogner (Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg), Varlaam (Boris Godunov), Padre Guardiano (La Forza del Destino), Heinrich (Lohengrin), Zaccaria (Nabucco), Fiesco (Simone Boccanegra), Hermann (Tannhäuser) and Hunding (Die Walküre). Guest engagements have taken Ain Anger to Berlin, Munich, Paris and Tokyo (on tour with the Wiener Staatsoper) as well as to the Savonlinna, Helsinki, Bergen and Luzern Festivals.
Anger made his Bayreuth Festival debut in 2009 as Fafner in both Das Rheingold and Siegfried with Christian Thielemann, and it was under Lorin Maazel that he made his US debut in 2002 in the title part of Rodion Shchedrin’s The Enchanted Wanderer with the New York Philharmonic. Equally at home on the concert platform, recent seasons have seen Ain Anger’s debut with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra in Beethoven’s Missa Solemnis (under Michael Tilson- Thomas) and in Verdi’s Requiem (James Conlon) as well as Orest in Strauss’ Elektra with The Philadelphia Orchestra (Charles Dutoit) and Mahler’s Symphony No. 8 with the Bayerischer Rundfunkorchester (Mariss Jansons). Ain Anger has also appeared as guest soloist with orchestras in New York, Cleveland, Saint Louis, Stockholm and Tokyo and has worked with renowned conductors including Lorin Maazel, Christian Thielemann, Seiji Ozawa, Zubin Mehta, Riccardo Muti and Esa-Pekka Salonen. 2013 he made his debut at Milan´s Scala.
- Anger Ain - Sänger/innen - Wiener Staatsoper. Wiener-staatsoper.at. Retrieved on 2014-05-21.
- Ain Anger, bass :: Schedule. Operabase.com. Retrieved on 2014-05-21.
- Bayreuther Festspiele » Deutsch » Spielplan » Aufführungsdatenbank » Person. Bayreuther-festspiele.de. Retrieved on 2014-05-21.
- Der fliegende Holländer - Teatro alla Scala. Teatroallascala.org. Retrieved on 2014-05-21.
- Presidendilt saab tänavu teenetemärgi 99 inimest | Uudised | ERR. Uudised. Retrieved on 2014-05-21.
- Ain Anger on HarrisonParrot