|Hubs||RAF Brize Norton|
|Focus cities||Manchester Airport|
|Parent company||Airbus (40%)|
Rolls-Royce plc (20%)
Cobham plc (13.33%)
Babcock International (13.33%)
and Thales Group (13.33%)
|Headquarters||RAF Brize Norton, United Kingdom|
In 2008 the Ministry of Defence signed the Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft (FSTA) contract with AirTanker to provide the Royal Air Force (RAF) with an air transport and air-to-air refuelling capability. As well as supporting the RAF, AirTanker holds a United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority Type A Operating Licence, permitting it to carry passengers, cargo and mail on aircraft with 20 or more seats.
Following the granting of an operating licence the airline flew its first charter flight to RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus for the UK Ministry of Defence in January 2013. After delays in certification, its first operational refuelling flight took place on 20 May 2013.
From May 2015, AirTanker leased one aircraft to Thomas Cook Airlines to be deployed on holiday routes. The contract will initially run for three years and involve mainly long haul flights from Glasgow, Manchester and London Stansted Airport. Their first commercial flight took place on 1 May 2015 from Manchester to Cancun and Punta Cana for Thomas Cook Airlines using an Airbus A330.
On 30 September 2016, AirTanker reached the final establishment phase milestone in the Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft (FSTA) programme with the achievement of Full Service Date on time and on budget delivering all 14 Aircraft.
AirTanker also provides twice-weekly flights from RAF Brize Norton to RAF Mount Pleasant on the Falkland Islands mainly for military personnel, though fare-paying passengers are also allowed to travel.
As of February 2019 the AirTanker fleet comprises the following:
|ZZ337||RAF||VIP, 158 including 58 business class seats|
|ZZ339||G-VYGJ||AirTanker for RAF|
- Type A Operating Licence Holders
- AirTanker’s first flight as an airline
- Osborne, Anthony (20 May 2013). "AirTanker Cleared To Begin Air-To-Air Refueling Operations". Aviation Week. Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "AirTanker Makes Commercial Debut". Airliner World: 5. July 2015.
- G-INFO - Civil Aviation Authority retrieved 28 February 2018
- Stevenson, Beth (6 July 2016). "RAF reveals VIP-configured Voyager". www.flightglobal.com. Retrieved 8 February 2019.
- "AirTanker Leasing - Our Customers". www.airtanker.co.uk. AirTanker. Retrieved 8 February 2019.