This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Air charter is the business of renting an entire aircraft (i.e., chartering) as opposed to individual aircraft seats (i.e., purchasing a ticket through a traditional airline). While the airlines specialize in selling transportation by the seat, air charter companies focus on individual private aircraft and itineraries, urgent or time-sensitive cargo, air ambulance service, and other forms of ad hoc air transportation. Some air charters brokers have been given economic authority to sell seats on private jets with mixed success. Some air charter companies offer a large variety of aircraft, such as helicopters and business jets. Charter jet categories include turbo props, light jets, mid-size jets, super mid-size jets, heavy jets, long-range jets and VIP airliners.
There are an estimated 15,000 business jets available for charter in the worldwide fleet. The US market is the largest and the European market is the second largest, with growing activity in the Middle East, Asia, and Central America.
- KRUPNICK, MATT. "Start-Ups Selling Seats on Private Jets Don’t Always Make It". New York Times. New York Times. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Charter Jet Categories". Presidential Aviation. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- Asp, Maria. "Private Jet Charter and Sales 2014". Sand Aviation Publishing. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- Evaluating the Efficiency of a Small Aircraft Transportation System Network Using Planning and Simulation Models (2006)
- Nationwide Impacts of Very Light Jet Traffic in the Future Next Generation Air Transportation System (NGATS) (2006)
- A Transportation Systems Analysis Model (TSAM) to study the impact of the Small Aircraft Transportation System (SATS) (2005)
- An Integrated Model To Study The Small Aircraft Transportation System (SATS) (2003)
- Air Taxi Association (ATXA)
- The National Air Transportation Association
- Transportation Systems Analysis Model, a nationwide transportation planning model to forecast air taxi demand in the United States
- Private jets for non-gazillionaires. The changing landscape of air taxi and air charter.
Media related to Charter airlines at Wikimedia Commons