Air Creation Tanarg
|Tanarg with the Air Creation iXess wing|
|Role||Ultralight trike and Light-sport aircraft|
|Status||In production (2013)|
The Air Creation Tanarg is a French ultralight trike, designed and produced by Air Creation of Aubenas. The aircraft is supplied as complete ready-to-fly-aircraft. In the United Kingdom the Tanarg is amateur-built from kits supplied by Air Creation.
Design and development
The Tanarg was designed as a long-range cruising trike to comply with the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale microlight category, including the category's maximum gross weight of 472.5 kg (1,042 lb) with a ballistic parachute. It is also an accepted Special Light-Sport Aircraft in the United States. The Tanarg features a cable-braced hang glider-style high-wing, weight-shift controls, a two-seats-in-tandem, open cockpit, tricycle landing gear with wheel pants and a single engine in pusher configuration.
The aircraft is made from mixed constriction, with bolted-together aluminum tubing, composites and carbon fibre panels, with its double surface wing covered in Dacron sailcloth. With the BioniX wing it has a 9.85 m (32.3 ft) span that is supported by a single tube-type kingpost and uses an "A" frame weight-shift control bar. The powerplant options include the twin cylinder, liquid-cooled, two-stroke, dual-ignition 64 hp (48 kW) Rotax 582 engine and the four cylinder, air and liquid-cooled, four-stroke, dual-ignition 80 hp (60 kW) Rotax 912UL and 100 hp (75 kW) Rotax 912ULS engines. With the 912 engine the aircraft has an empty weight of 249 kg (549 lb) and a gross weight of 472.5 kg (1,042 lb), giving a useful load of 223.5 kg (493 lb). With full fuel of 70 litres (15 imp gal; 18 US gal) the payload is 183 kg (403 lb).
Specifications (Tanarg 912 trike with a BioniX 15 wing)
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Wingspan: 9.85 m (32 ft 4 in)
- Height: 3.45 m (11 ft 4 in)
- Wing area: 15.1 m2 (163 sq ft)
- Aspect ratio: 6.4:1
- Empty weight: 249 kg (549 lb)
- Gross weight: 472.5 kg (1,042 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 70 litres (15 imp gal; 18 US gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 912ULS four cylinder, liquid and air-cooled, four stroke aircraft engine, 75 kW (101 hp)
- Propellers: 3-bladed Arplast Helice composite, 1.66 m (5 ft 5 in) diameter
- Maximum speed: 157 km/h (98 mph; 85 kn)
- Cruise speed: 135 km/h (84 mph; 73 kn)
- Stall speed: 55 km/h (34 mph; 30 kn)
- Rate of climb: 6 m/s (1,200 ft/min)
- Wing loading: 30 kg/m2 (6.1 lb/sq ft) maximum
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 198-200. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- "Homebuilt Aircraft Data Sheet - HM16 Air Creation Tanarg / iXess 15 UK / iXess 13 UK / 912ES Biomnix 15" (PDF). British Microlight Aircraft Association.
- Air Creation (n.d.). "Tanarg". Retrieved 28 February 2013.
- Federal Aviation Administration (7 January 2013). "SLSA Make/Model Directory". Archived from the original on 16 May 2013. Retrieved 28 February 2013.
- Experimental Aircraft Association (2013). "EAA's Listing of Special Light-Sport Aircraft". Retrieved 28 February 2013.
- Air Creation (n.d.). "Tanarg Technical Characteristics & Performance" (PDF). Retrieved 28 February 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Air Creation Tanarg.|