Air Force Special Operations Air Warfare Center
||This article has an unclear citation style. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (August 2013) (|
The United States Air Force Special Operations Air Warfare Center (AFSOAWC) is headquartered at Hurlburt Field, FL, with satellite locations at Duke Field, FL, and Robins AFB, GA. It works under the supervision of the Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC); Its primary function is to organize, train, educate and equip forces to conduct special operations missions; lead MAJCOM Irregular Warfare activities; execute special operations test and evaluation and lessons learned programs; and develop doctrine, tactics, techniques and procedures for Air Force Special Operations Forces. The Vision is, "Transforming Airmen into Air Commandos who possess the specialized skills and warrior ethos to fight and win anytime, anywhere."
The Special Operations Air Warfare Center was originally formed at Hurlburt Field in 1962 to train and deploy some of the first special operations airmen, known as Air Commandos, in irregular warfare. The first graduates eventually took on advisory and combat roles assisting the Army of the Republic of Vietnam during the Vietnam War. The program was dissolved after the war due to budget cuts.
The Air Force Special Operations Air Warfare Center was activated on February 11, 2013 with the deactivation of the Air Force Special Operations Training Center (AFSOTC). As a result, the major units that fall under the center include: U.S. Air Force Special Operations School, 371st Special Operations Combat Training Squadron, 19th Special Operations Squadron, 551st Special Operations Squadron from Cannon Air Force Base, N.M., 18th Flight Test Squadron, 6th Special Operations Squadron and the 745th Special Operations Squadron from Eglin AFB, FL, which were formerly assigned to AFSOTC.
- "Air Force Magazine-Commando Training, and Beyond" - Air Force Magazine - Home. Web. 14 February 2013. <http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Pages/2013/February%202013/February%2014%202013/CommandoTraining,andBeyond.aspx>
- "AFSOC Mission", Tactical Defense Media pdf, Page 33. Web. May 2013. <http://www.tacticaldefensemedia.com/pdf/am/2013_AM_May_web.pdf>
- "Air Force Special Operations Home Page - Units - Air Force Special Operations Air Warfare Center" <http://www.afsoc.af.mil/afsoawc/>
- "AFSOC Stands up Air Warfare Center." - By Raquel Sanchez Air Force Special Operations Command Public Affairs. - AFSOC Homepage - News. 12 February 2013. <"Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-17. Retrieved 2013-02-17.>
- "Reservist takes reins of new special ops center" - By Tech. Sgt. Samuel King Jr. 919th Special Operations Wing public affairs. 12 February 2013. <http://www.afrc.af.mil/news/story_print.asp?id=123336043>
- "Leadership Directories Profile - BrigGen Jon A. Weeks". <http://www.leadershipdirectories.com/profiles/Jon-Weeks-Commander-Air-Force-Special-Operations-Air-Warfare.htm>
- "US Air Force Official Website - Information - Biographies, "BRIGADIER GENERAL JON A. WEEKS". <http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=16253>