Benin Armed Forces
|Benin Armed Forces
Coat of arms of Benin
|Service branches||Army (l'Armée de Terre)
Benin Navy (Forces Navales Beninois, FNB)
Benin People's Air Force (Force Aerienne Populaire de Benin, FAPB)
|Commander-in-Chief||President Patrice Talon|
|Percent of GDP||1% (2011)|
|Foreign suppliers|| France
The Benin Armed Forces (FAB - Forces armées béninoises) constitutes the army, navy, air force, and national gendarmerie of Benin. For a number of years, the Belgian Armed Forces have had an active programme of co-operation with Benin, offering training and coaching, donating redundant military equipment and using the country for limited military exercises.
- Sub-machine guns
- Machine guns
Vehicles and Towed Artillery
|PT-76||Soviet Union||Light tank||18|
|Casspir||South Africa||APC||Casspir 2000||10 on order.|
|M8 Greyhound||United States||Armoured car||7|
|Eland Mk7||South Africa||Armoured car||Eland-90||3||Provided with French instructors for training|
|Panhard VBL||France||Scout car||10|
|BRDM-2||Soviet Union||Scout car||14|
|L118 Light Gun||United Kingdom||Howitzer||12|
|M101 howitzer||United States||Howitzer||4|
After achieving independence from France in 1960 the Benin Air Force was transport equipped with seven French-supplied Douglas C-47s, four MH.1521 Broussards and two Agusta-Bell 47Gs. Two F-27s were entered service in 1978 for transport duties before being transferred to Air Benin. Also during the same era two AN-26s were acquired. In late 1985 two Dornier Do-28s entered service to replace the C-47s. A single DHC-6 Twin Otter was acquired in 1989.
|Boeing 727||United States||VIP||1|
|HS 748||United Kingdom||transport||1|
As at 2012 the navy has a strength of approximately 200 personnel. It operates two ex-Chinese patrol boats, which are designated the Matelot Brice Kpomasse class.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Military of Benin.|
- IISS (2012), p. 422
- Mathurin C. Houngnikpo, Samuel Decalo, Historical Dictionary of Benin, 78.
- Jane's Infantry Weapons 2007
- Photo Details. Marines.mil (16 June 2009). Retrieved on 2012-05-20.
- Benin purchases ten Casspir 2000 mine protected vehicles Archived 13 February 2013 at the Wayback Machine. - Armyrecognition.com, 10 February 2013
- DIO blindé au Bénin
- "Senegal Instruction Operationelle Au Profit Des Forces Armees Beninoises".
- Republique du Benin
- "Trade Registers". Armstrade.sipri.org. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Benin Government B-727". xairforces.net. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "World Air Forces 2015 pg. 11". Flightglobal Insight. 2015. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- Works consulted
- International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) (2012). The Military Balance 2012. London: IISS. ISSN 0459-7222.
This article incorporates public domain material from the CIA World Factbook website https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html.