Air India Express
|Commenced operations||29 April 2005|
|Fleet size||20 (+3)|
|Company slogan||"Simply PriceLess"|
|Parent company||Air India Limited|
|Key people||Ashwani Lohani (Chairman)
K. Shyam Sundar (CEO)
Air India Express is an Indian Low-cost carrier headquartered in Kochi. It is operated by Air India Charters Limited (AICL), a wholly owned subsidiary of flag carrier Air India. It operates nearly 375 flights per week to 26 destinations including Middle East and Southeast Asia.
Air India Express started operations on 29 April 2005 with three flights, taking off simultaneously from Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi and Kozhikode. The airline was launched as a low-cost carrier with the objective of providing connectivity to the Middle East and South East Asia at affordable prices. Being a low cost airline, the airline operates point to point flights without any hub. In December 2012, Air India ratified the proposal to move the headquarters to Kochi in January 2013 and for establishing a new MRO base at Thiruvananthapuram.
The airline took delivery of the first aircraft on 22 February 2005 when it leased a new Boeing 737-86Q from Boullioun Aviation Services. Air India had originally planned to convert three of its existing Boeing 777 orders into ten Boeing 737 MAX orders to be operated by Air India Express but later decided decided against it. As of August 2016[update], Air India Express fleet included the following aircraft:
|Boeing 737-800||20||3||189||3 Being leased|
Each Air-India Express aircraft features a different tail design that reflects a facet of Indian culture, history and tradition.
Accidents and incidents
- On 22 May 2010, Air India Express Flight 812, a Boeing 737-800 (registered VT-AXV), flying on the Dubai–Mangalore route overshot the table top runway on landing at Mangalore Airport, killing 152 passengers and six crew members of the 166 people on board. The aircraft crashed into a wooded valley and burst into flames.
- "Air India to achieve fiscal targets". The Hindu. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- Ramavarman, T. (14 December 2012). "Shifting of Air India Express headquarters to Kochi gets nod". Times of India. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Air India Express route scheduling from city soon". The Hindu. 7 January 2013. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "Low cost but high profit". The Hindu. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "Air India Express to connect Delhi". Times of India. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Air India nixes proposal". First post. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Air India Express". Air India. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Perfect 10 for Air India Express". Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Jet crash kills 158 in India; 8 survive". 23 May 2010.
- "Indian official: 158 dead in Air India plane crash in Mangalore". Wire Update/BNO News. 22 May 2010. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Air India flight from Dubai crashes in India". MSNBC. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Casualties feared in Air India crash". CNN. 22 May 2010. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- "India plane crash in Mangalore leaves nearly 160 dead". BBC News. 22 May 2010. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Air India Express.|