|Founded||23 May 1994|
|Parent company||Iberia (as franchise) |
Caja Duero (22%)
|Revenue||€500 million (2013)|
Air Nostrum is an independent carrier which operates as a franchisee of Iberia as Iberia Regional and an affiliate member of the Oneworld airline alliance. Air Nostrum operates 91 domestic and international routes to 51 destinations, and charter flights. Its main base is Valencia Airport, with hubs at Barcelona Airport and Madrid-Barajas Airport.
The airline was established on 23 May 1994 and started operations on 15 December. It was founded as Líneas Aéreas del Mediterraneo/Air Nostrum in Valencia. In May 1997, Air Nostrum signed an agreement with Iberia to become an Iberia franchise. It acquired Iberia subsidiary Binter Mediterraneo and absorbed its operations. Following Iberia's merger with Aviaco in 1999, additional domestic and international services were taken over by Air Nostrum. It acquired Dutch airline Denim Air in 1999, but disposed of its interest in the company in 2002. Air Nostrum is owned by Nefinsa (75%), Caja Duero (22%) and Air Nostrum management (3%) and has 2,040 employees (in March 2007).
Air Nostrum used to offer a comprehensive meal service on all scheduled flights. In early 2008, the airline eliminated its 'regional business class' cabin. The cabin is now split into separate business and economy sections along the lines of other major airlines. Economy passengers can purchase drinks and snacks from an onboard menu.
In September 2017, Air Nostrum lodged an application to operate high speed rail services from Madrid Atocha to Gare de Montpellier-Saint-Roch in Southern France from 5 October 2018 with AVE Class 100 trains leased from Renfe Operadora.
As of October 2018, the Air Nostrum fleet consists of the following aircraft:
Incidents and accidents
- On 17 January 2003, an Air Nostrum Fokker 50 overran the runway at Melilla Airport and crashed into the perimeter fence resulting in the aircraft splitting into two major parts. Nine passengers were injured.
- On 24 January 2006, Air Nostrum flight IB 8665 from Valladolid made a belly landing at Barcelona El Prat Airport. Two of the forty passengers sustained minor injuries while disembarking from the aircraft, a Bombardier CRJ200 with registration EC-IBM. The cause was determined by the Comisión de Investigación de Accidentes e Incidentes de Aviación Civil to be pilot error.
- Air Nostrum figures 1995-2012
- Air Nostrum "About Us" page Archived 2014-09-23 at the Wayback Machine. as of June 2014
- "Contact List Archived 2014-05-29 at the Wayback Machine.." Air Nostrum. Retrieved on 20 May 2009. "Avda. Comarques del País Valenciá, 2. 46930 Quart de Poblet, Valencia España / Spain"
- "Directory: World Airlines". Flight International. 2007-03-27. p. 64.
- Air Nostrum History - The First Airline of Regional Aviation in Spain Archived 2014-05-29 at the Wayback Machine.
- airnostrum.es - On board service retrieved 21 January 2018
- Spanish airline to enter high speed rail market International Railway Journal 12 October 2017
- Dublin based City Jet merges with Spain’s Air Nostrum Irish Independent July 17 2018
- planespotters.net - Air Nostrum retrieved 6 August 2018
- Hradecky, Simon. "Report: Air Nostrum CRJ2 at Barcelona on Jan 24th 2007, belly landing". Aviation Herald. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
Media related to Air Nostrum at Wikimedia Commons