Air Sénégal International

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Air Sénégal International
Air Senegal International logo.png
IATA ICAO Callsign
V7 SNG AIR SENEGAL
Founded1962
Ceased operations24 April 2009
HubsDakar-Yoff-Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport
Fleet size5
Destinations19
Company sloganYou will love our Company[1]
Parent companyRoyal Air Maroc (51%)
Senegalese Government (49%)
HeadquartersDakar, Senegal
Key peopleMohamed El Yaalaoui (General Manager)
Websiteair-senegal-international.com/asi_english/

Air Sénégal International was an airline with its head office in Dakar, Senegal.[2] It was a regional carrier operating a scheduled domestic network and regional flights to neighbouring countries. It also operated charter and air taxi flights. Its main base was Dakar-Yoff-Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport.[3]

On April 24, 2009, the airline suspended all of its operations.[4]

History[edit]

The airline was established on 1 February 1971 as Air Sénégal and started operations on 23 February 2001. It was restructured as an international carrier following the acquisition of a majority stake by Royal Air Maroc in 2001. It was part of Groupe Royal Air Maroc, who owned 51% of the company's shares, with 49% being held by the Senegalese government.[5]

At one time the airline had its head office on the grounds of Dakar-Yoff-Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport in Yoff, Senegal.[6]

In 2006 the airline disclosed losses of $16 million.[7] In 2007, the Senegalese government stated that effective 5 November 2006, it would purchase a further 26% of the airline, raising its stake to 75%.[7][8] The Senegalese government stated that support from Royal Air Maroc had "shown its limitations", and that the airline needed to be recapitalised.[8]

In late 2009, a new airline was announced to replace Air Sénégal International. The new airline is called Senegal Airlines with a fleet of 4 Airbus A320 aircraft and 2 Airbus A330 aircraft.[9] Operations commenced in early 2011.[10]

Destinations[edit]

An Air Sénégal International Boeing 737-700 at Paris Orly Airport in 2007.

As of 2007, Air Sénégal International operated scheduled passenger flights to the following destinations:[11]

Africa[edit]

Europe[edit]

Air Sénégal International Boeing 737-700

Codeshares[edit]

At May 2007, Air Sénégal International had codeshare agreements with the following airlines:

Fleet[edit]

Air Sénégal International Dash8 300 at the BJL Airport

At March 2008, the Air Sénégal International fleet consisted of the following aircraft:[3][12]

Air Sénégal International Fleet
Aircraft Total Passengers
(Etoile/Economy)
Notes
Boeing 737-700 4 114 (12/102) Medium haul routes
Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 1 50 (0/50) Short haul
Total Number of Aircraft 5

Previously operated[edit]

At August 2006 the airline also operated:[13]

References[edit]

  1. ^ Air Senegal International website "Message by the Managing Director"
  2. ^ "Contacts." Air Sénégal International. 5 January 2007. Retrieved on 15 May 2010.
  3. ^ a b "ATDB.aero aerotransport.org AeroTransport Data Bank". www.aerotransport.org. Retrieved 2017-08-24.
  4. ^ Editorial, Reuters. "Air Senegal shuts down operations in RAM row". IN. Retrieved 2017-08-24.
  5. ^ "RAM infuses fresh capital into Air Senegal". Panapress. 2007-04-11. Archived from the original on 2007-09-11. Retrieved 2007-05-25. RAM holds 51 percent of the shares of ASI, while the Senegalese government owns the remaining 49 percent.
  6. ^ "Directory: World Airlines." Flight International. 12–18 March 2002. 63.
  7. ^ a b "Senegal retakes control of airline from Air Maroc". Reuters. 2007-04-11. Archived from the original on 2013-01-04. Retrieved 2007-05-25.
  8. ^ a b "Senegal government takes major stake in its flag carrier". AFP. 2007-10-31. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
  9. ^ Senegal Airlines to use 6 Airbus aircraft
  10. ^ "Senegal Airlines to launch operations tomorrow". Flightglobal.com. 24 January 2011. Retrieved 28 January 2011.
  11. ^ Air Sénégal International destination guide (cross-referenced for codeshare flights on http://www.amadeus.net)
  12. ^ (in French) Air Sénégal International "Notre Fleet"
  13. ^ Flight International, 3–9 October 2006

External links[edit]