|Directed by||Sarjun KM|
|Produced by||Kotapadi J Rajesh|
|Screenplay by||Priyanka Ravindran|
|Music by||Sundaramurthy K.S.|
|Edited by||Karthik Jogesh|
|Distributed by||Trident Arts|
Airaa (transl. The beginning) is a 2019 Indian Tamil horror film written and directed by KM Sarjun. The film stars Nayanthara, Kalaiyarasan and Yogi Babu in the main lead roles. The film is produced by Kotapadi J Rajesh under the production banner KJR Studios. The movie was initially expected to be released on the eve of Christmas but the shooting of the film wasn't completed as planned until December 2018. The official teaser was released on 5 January 2019 at 5PM. For the first time Nayanthara is playing a dual role in a film.The teaser also has created more expectations for the film.
The movie starts off with Yamuna (Nayanthara), who is a journalist and also a YouTuber who makes a living by doing ghost videos. Not interested in marriage, she goes to her grandmother Parvathy's (Kulappulli Leela) house in the rural area of Tamil Nadu. Her grandmother, despite being blind, has a sharper vision than some normal people. Yamuna's pitches are mostly inspired by her grandmother.
The movie then cuts and shows Amudhan (Kalaiyarasan), who is investigating a string of deaths that have been happening in the area throughout the movie. Meanwhile, Yamuna, Parvathy, Mani (Yogi Babu), and Mani's nephew Babloo (Ashwanth Ashokkumar) continue making fake videos on YouTube, which eventually catches the public's attention and goes viral. The movie then shows Amudhan, who has been looking for a few people whom he had met in the local bar. After inquiring in a few places, he finds where the people live and goes to their houses. Suddenly, the same two people whom he had been looking for fall from the top of their apartment building to their deaths, which is actually the same way the other people have also died.
Amudhan then climbs to the rooftop of the building, only to find nobody there, he then screams the name Bhavani. The movie cuts back to Yamuna, who is suddenly being haunted by a ghost but is unsure who it is and why it is attacking her. One night, Yamuna sees Parvathy looking up at the CCTV cameras that Yamuna has fixed for her videos. Yamuna is taken aback by this and exits the room that she is in to check on her grandmother, who then gets dragged by the ghost to the garden area of the house and is attacked. Yamuna is also attacked during this time. Yamuna then wakes up in a hospital and then is greeted by her parents (Jayaprakash and Meera Krishnan). She asks her father about her grandmother's condition, to which he replies by saying that she is alive but in a critical state. Yamuna, who is still in the hospital, wakes up in the middle of the night and sees a butterfly, which leads her out of her room and to the hospital corridors. On the floor, she finds drawings on cloth of the same butterfly, which happens to lead her to the lift and to her grandmother's hospital room. Yamuna then finds that her grandmother is dead and that her monitor is no longer beeping. The movie cuts to Amudhan, who is talking to the ghost Bhavani (Nayanthara). He is telling her that revenge is not important and that she should not kill people anymore. Amudhan tries to tell Bhavani to stop, to which she replies by saying †hat her job is almost done, but one: she wants to kill Yamuna.
The next scene is at Parvathy's funeral, which takes place shortly after the hospital scene. Yamuna's parents are scolding Mani, saying that because of their negative ways on the YouTube videos, Parvathy is dead. Yamuna is then greeted by Babloo, saying that Bhavani is a very good person and that everyone had got together and killed her. Babloo's face then turns into ash, revealing that he was never there and that he is actually not Mani's nephew and that he is actually a ghost, as well. This causes Yamuna to do further research on both Babloo and Bhavani. At the same time, Amudhan tries to locate Yamuna in the odds of trying to save her from Bhavani. Sooner or later, Yamuna manages to find clues that lead her to Amudhan's house, while she tries to use a torchlight to see the interior of his home, Amudhan shows up, welcoming her into his home.
Yamuna then asks Amudhan why Bhavani is trying to kill her. He says that he does not know but does tell Yamuna about Bhavani's past. During those days in India, especially in villages, it is customary for any family with girls to be wealthy, due to having to be able to afford marriage dowries. The scene starts with Bhavani's father crying while walking out of his house to inform his relatives that his wife has yet again given birth to another baby girl. Bhavani's father walks towards an old tractor and suddenly dies by a thunder attack. This incident causes the villagers to believe that it is because of Bhavani's ill fate. After this incident, Bhavani faces many abuses and humiliations. She then meets Amudhan. He started to love her by admiring her inner beauty. Hearing the story, Yamuna goes to the house and asks Bhavani what she wants, to which Bhavani says that she wants Yamuna's body to live with Amudhan where Yamuna accepts it as a compensation for her mistake which was a contribution of Bhavani's death. Finally, Bhavani uses Yamuna's body to live with Amudhan, but Amudhan refuses to live with Bhavani who uses Yamuna's body. Hence, Amudhan kills himself and tells Bhavani while dying that, now they can live together. Bhavani then leaves Yamuna's body.The film ends with Yamuna at Bhavani's grave where Amudhan's grave beside it.
- Nayanthara as Bhavani and Yamuna (dual role)
- Kalaiyarasan as Amudhan
- Yogi Babu as Mani
- Maathevan as young Amudhan
- Gabrella Sellus as young Bhavani
- Nishaanth Ramakrishnan as Adi
- Jayaprakash as Yamuna's father
- Meera Krishnan as Yamuna's mother
- Ashwanth Ashokkumar as Babloo
- Kulappulli Leela as Parvathy Paati
- Senthikumari as Bhavani's mother
- Mona Bedre as Doctor
The film was announced by young filmmaker KM Sarjun who rose to prominence in Kollywood for his maiden directorial venture titled Echcharikkai which was released in late August 2018. The film marks yet another women centric prominent role for Nayanthara. The KJR Studios decided to produce this film which also previously produced Nayanthara's political starrer Aramm. The film also marks Nayanthara's 63rd film and also this will be the first instance for her where she will play dual roles in a film. The title and the first look poster of the film was released on 8 October 2018. Sundaramurthy KS, Sudarshan Srinivasan and Karthik Jogesh are assigned as the music director, cinematographer and film editor respectively, continuing their association with the director from his previous film. Second look poster for the film was revealed through social media on 1 January 2019 on the occasion of New Year 2019 as a part of New Year's Eve. The shooting of the film wrapped up in December 2018.
|2.||"Kaariga"||Madhan Karky||Sid Sriram, Rap -NAVZ-47||4:21|
|3.||"Jinthako"||Ku. Karthik||Sundaramurthy KS, Sri Radha Bharath||4:08|
Marketing and release
The teaser of the film presenting leading lady Nayanthara’s first double role was unveiled on 5 January 2019. The official trailer of the film was unveiled on 20 March 2019. The film which had its theatrical release on 28 March 2019 received underwhelming responses from the audience for the illogical screenplay of the film and was also overshadowed by another woman oriented but transgender based film Super Deluxe which was released the following day.
- Airaa Movie: Showtimes, Review, Trailer, Posters, News & Videos | eTimes, retrieved 26 November 2018
- RajKumar (29 December 2018). "Airaa Tamil Movie (2019) | Cast | Songs | Teaser | Trailer | Release Date". News Bugz. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- "Airaa first look: Nayanthara's double role, in black and white. See pic". hindustantimes. 9 October 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "It's a wrap for Nayanthara's Airaa". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- www.thenewsminute.com https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/watch-nayantharas-airaa-promises-be-chilling-thriller-94547. Retrieved 5 January 2019. Missing or empty
- Shambhavi (5 January 2019). "'Airaa' trailer out: Nayanthara will be playing double role in this horror thriller". The Indian Wire. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- "The myriad colours of a woman". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "Airaa first look: Nayanthara plays a double role in her next | Entertainment News, The Indian Express". indianexpress.com. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "First look of Nayanthara starrer 'Airaa': Another female-oriented film from the Lady Superstar?". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "'Airaa': Title of Nayanthara's 63rd film and first-look poster out". The News Minute. 9 October 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "நயன் ரசிகர்கள் எல்லாருமே செம்ம ஹாப்பி அண்ணாச்சி… சிறப்பான புத்தாண்டு தொடக்கம்". Indian Express Tamil (in Tamil). 2 January 2019. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "Nayanthara's Airaa to ride along with Ajith's Viswasam". in.com. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "வரும் 5ம் தேதி வெளியாகும் நயன்தாராவின் 'ஐரா' படத்தின் டீசர்!". samayam Tamil (in Tamil). 2 January 2019. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "நயன்தாராவின் 'ஐரா' படப்பிடிப்பு நிறைவு!". Tamil_MEenadu Portal. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- 100010509524078 (2 January 2019). "நயன்தாரா நடிக்கும் ஐரா படக்குழுவின் அடுத்த அறிவிப்பு". maalaimalar.com (in Tamil). Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "Airaa official teaser -Tamil - Nayanthara, Kalaiyarasan -Sarjun KM -KS Sundaramurthy". Think Music India on YouTube.
- "Airaa trailer: Nayanthara starrer to send chills down your spine". The Indian Express. 5 January 2019. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- "Nayanthara has tried something new, in terms of makeup and performance in 'Airaa' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- "Nayanthara's Airaa official teaser directed by KM Sarjun". Behindwoods. 5 January 2019. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- Think Music India (20 March 2019), Airaa Official Trailer - Tamil | Nayanthara, Kalaiyarasan | Sarjun KM | Sundaramurthy KS, retrieved 29 March 2019
- "Nayan's Airaa trailer looks to be an engaging horror thriller". www.thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Airaa Movie Review: Illogical Plot and Shoddy Script Push Nayanthara into Shadows". News18. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- March 28, Adithya Narayan On; 2019 (28 March 2019). "Weekend Watch: 'Airaa', 'Super Deluxe', Lucifer' – A Week Where Big Names Clash At The Box Office". Silverscreen.in. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Review : Super Deluxe review: Benefits enormously from winning (2019)". www.sify.com. Retrieved 29 March 2019.