Airat Ichmouratov after performance of Turandot at Tatarstan State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre, Kazan, Russia 28 November 2012
Airat Rafailovich Ichmouratov
28 June 1973
|Citizenship||Canada , Russia|
|Alma mater||Kazan State Conservatory|
|Occupation||Conductor, Composer, Klezmer Clarinetist|
Airat Rafailovich Ichmouratov (Russian: Айрат Рафаилович Ишмуратов, Tatar Cyrillic: Айрат Рафаил улы Ишмурат,) born June 28, 1973) is a Volga Tatar born Russian / Canadian composer , conductor and klezmer clarinetist. He is conductor and composer in residence of Longueuil Symphony Orchestra, clarinetist of Montreal-based Klezmer group Kleztory and invited professor at Laval University in Quebec, Canada.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Discography
- 4 List of compositions
- 5 Personal life
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Ichmouratov was born and raised in Kazan, the capital and largest city of the Republic of Tatarstan, Russia, he is second child of Razima Icmouratova (Gatina) and Rafail Ichmouratov. He studied Clarinet at the Kazan Music School N3, Kazan Music College and Kazan Conservatory, graduating in 1996. In 1993, when he was appointed as Associate clarinetist of the Tatarstan's Opera and Ballet Theatre, and of the Kazan State Symphony Orchestra, he began to extensively tour in Europe. In 1997, Ichmouratov comes to Canada to participate as student at Orford Art's Centre Festival, where he met Yuli Turovsky, Soviet-born Canadian cellist and conductor, who later became his close mentor.
In 1998, Ichmouratov permanently moved to Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where he obtained a Master degree at the University of Montreal, where he studied with Andre Moisan. He then founded the Muczynski Trio with Luo Di -Cello and Evgenia Kirjner on piano, which won 1st prize and the Grand Award at the National Music Festival (Canada, 2002) and 1st Prize at the 8th International Chamber Music Competition in Kraków (Poland, 2004).
Ichmouratov's first conducting job, after obtaining his Doctorat degree in Orchestra Conducting at University of Montreal (2005) was with chamber orchestra Les Violons du Roy in Quebec City, where he was assistant conductor of renown specialist in Baroque and Classical repertoire, Canadian conductor Bernard Labadie. Les Violons du Roy's Concert on 5.12.2008 "Russian Impressions" under Ichmouratov's direction, also presented the world premiere of his own Cello Concerto, won the Opus Prize in the category – Best concert of the Year. Airat was appointed to the position of Resident Conductor of the Quebec Symphony Orchestra from 2009 until 2011, where he was assisting Israeli conductor and composer Yoav Talmi. In 2011, replacing on short notice Yuli Turovsky - Mr Ichmouratov conducted I Musici de Montréal Chamber Orchestra on tour in USA, Brazil and Peru. In October 2011 he made his debut with Tatarstan Academic State Opera and Ballet Theatre (Russia) and was immediately re invited to conduct Puccini's Turandot and Verdi's Rigoletto during the 2012-13 season and on the following European Tour.
In 2000, Mr. Ichmouratov joined the klezmer group Kleztory, in which he presently plays the clarinet, composes and arranges. In 2004, Kleztory recorded for the Chandos Records (Great Britain) CD with I Musici de Montréal Chamber Orchestra and Yuli Turovsky. In 2007 Kleztory's album "Nomade" won the Opus Prize. Most recent (2014) Album "Arrival" was nominated as Best album of the year in Traditional music category by ADISQ. In 2012 Kleztory won klezmer Furth Prize at International Klezmer festival and Competition in Amsterdam and as result appeared at Furth Klezmer Festival during the following spring . With Kleztory, Mr. Ichmouratov has appeared as soloist with several orchestras including the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, the Quebec Symphony Orchestra, I Musici de Montréal Chamber Orchestra, Les Violons du Roy and Brussels Chamber Orchestra and toured intensively in Canada, USA, Brazil, Mexico, Costa Rica, Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, Romania and China.
The music of Airat Ichmouratov has been performed by a wide range of ensembles and musicians in countries around the world, including Maxim Vengerov, Jonathan Crow, Andrew Wan, Eric Paetkau, Alexis Hauser, Jean Francois Rivest, Alexandre Da Costa , Alain Trudel, Stephane Laforest, Andre Moisan, Mark Simons, Yegor Dyachkov, Max Pollak, Stephane Tetreault, Sasha Mirkovic & ensemble Metamorphosis (Serbia), Quebec Symphony Orchestra, Orchestre Métropolitain, Taipei Symphony Orchestra, Amadeus Chamber Orchestra of Polish Radio, Les Violons du Roy, Orchestra London, Longueuil Symphony Orchestra, New Orford String Quartet, Yuli Turovsky & I Musici de Montreal, 13 Strings (Ottawa), Tatarstan State Symphony Orchestra (Russia), La Primavera Chamber Orchestra, Alcan Quartet, Molinari Quartet, Orford Camerata Ensemble, Sinfonia Toronto, Nouvelle Generation Chamber orchestra just to name a few.
Ichmouratov was named as Resident Composer 2012 at Concerts aux îles du Bic (Canada), in 2013 Composer of Summer at Orford Arts Centre (Canada) and in 2015 Summer Composer at 17e édition of Festival Classique des Hautes-Laurentides (Canada). Since 2010 Ichmouratov is Associate Composer with Canadian Music Centre.
- Klezmer music, Kleztory (2002)
- Barber, Copland, Britten, Bruch, Kazan Chamber Orchestra La Primavera, Ak Bars (2002)
- Klezmer, Kleztory, Yuli Turovsky & I Musici de Montreal Chamber Orchestra, Chandos Records(2004)
- Nomade, Kleztory, Opus Award winner 2007, Amerix (2007)
- Shostakovich,Weinberg,Ichmouratov, I Musici de Montreal Chamber Orchestra, Analekta (2008)
- Symphonique, Le Vent du Nord et Quebec Symphony Orchestra, CBC (2010)
- Carte Postale, Alcan Quartet, ATMA Classique (2011)
- Beethoven, Violin Concerto (cadenzas by Ichmouratov), Symphony No. 7, Alexandre Da Costa, Taipei Symphony Orchestra, Warner Classics (2013)
- Arrival, Kleztory, Amerix (2014)
- Tales from the Dinarides, Michael Bridge, Guillaume Tardif, Kornel Wolak, Wirth Institute (2017)
- Klezmer Dreams, Andre Moisan, Jean Saulnier and Molinari Quartet,ATMA Classique (2017)
- Nigun, Kleztory, Amerix (2017)
- Melodies of Nations, Romic - Moynihan Duo, Hedone Records (2017)
- Letters From an Unknown Woman, Three Romances for Viola, Concerto Grosso No. 1 - Belarusian State Chamber Orchestra, Evgeny Bushkov - Chandos (2019)
List of compositions
- Symphony Nº1 Op.55 "On the ruins of ancient Fort" (2017)
- Symphonic Fantasy after Armenian epos David of Sassoon Op.11 (2006)
- Halloweenesque Op.21 Valse for Halloween (2009)
- Overture Ville Cosmopolite Op.29 for Symphony Orchestra (2012)
- Overture Maslenitsa Op.36 for Symphony Orchestra (2013)
- Overture Youth Op.50 for Symphony Orchestra (2016)
Concerti with orchestra
- Concerto for Viola and Orchestra No1 Op.7 (2004)
- Concerto for Viola and String Orchestra with harpsicord No2 (in Baroque style) Op.41 (2015)
- Concerto for Oboe and Strings with Percussions Op.6 (2004)
- Concerto for Cello and String Orchestra with percussion Op.18 (2009)
- Concerto for Piano and Orchestra Op 40 (2014)
- Fantasy for Viola and Orchestra on D.Shostakovich's opera "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk District" Op.12 (2006)
- 3 Romances for Viola and Strings with Harp Op.22 (2009)
- Capriccio Rustico for Cello and Orchestra Op.26 (2010)
- The Ride of Cello Vello Buffon for Cello with Orchestra Op.27 (2010)
- Fantastic Dances for Clarinet, Cello and Piano with Strings and Percussion Op.15 (2007)
- The Final Procession for Clarinet, Cello and Piano with Strings and Percussion Op.37 (2013)
- The Arrival to the City for Clarinet, Cello and Piano with Strings and Percussion Op.38 (2013)
- Shabarsha for Tap Dancer and String Orchestra Op.39 (2013)
- Concerto grosso Op.28 for Clarinet, Violin, Viola, Cello, Piano and String Orchestra with Percussion (2011)
- Elegy for Violin and String Orchestra Op.32 (2012)
- Adagio and Allegro con brio for Violin and String Orchestra Op.43 (2015)
- Windcatcher for Clarinet and String Orchestra Op.17 (2008)
- Fantasia on klezmer themes No.1 Op.13 (2006)
- Sarasatiana Op.20 for 5 Violins and String Orchestra (2009)
- String Quartet No. 1 Op.1 (2003)
- String Quartet No.2 Op.5 / Chamber Symphony N2 for String Orchestra Op.5A (2009)
- String Quartet No. 3 Op.25 / Chamber Symphony N3 for String Orchestra Op.25A (2010)
- String Quartet N4 Op.35 / Chamber Symphony N4 for String Orchestra Op.35A (2013)
- 12 Preludes for woodwind Quintet Op.8 (2005)
- Sonata for Clarinet and Piano "The Bells" Op.9 (2005)
- Sonata for Viola and Piano Op.10 (2005)
- Fantasia on klezmer themes No.2 Op.16 for Clarinet, Piano and String Quartet (2008)
- Largo for Sanja for Oboe and Piano Op.46
- One day of an almost ordinary life for Clarinet and String Quartet Op.47 / Clarinet and String Orchestra Op.47A (2015)
- String Octet "Letter" Op.56 after Stefan Zweig's novella "Letter from an Unknown Woman
- Tales from the Dinarides, Op 48 for Violin, Clarinet, and Accordion.
- 3 poems after Alexandre Pushkin Op.34 for soprano and Chamber Orchestra (2012)
Music for Children
- Variations on Children's Theme Op.23 for Strings and Harp (2010)
- The Sorcerer's Hat Op.24 music tale, based on story by Tove Jansson (2010)
- Chamber Suite from "The Sorcerer's Hat" Op.24 A (2010)
- "Shuburchunchiki " Op.19 (2010)
- Klezmer Cadenzas for Beethoven Violin Concerto Op.33 (2012)
- 6 Preludes for Piano Op.44 (2015)
- Jew in Rio for klezmer band Op.2 (2000)
- Bolero for klezmer band Op.3 (2000)
- The song of the Dead Sea for klezmer band Op.4 (2006)
- Clarinet Doina For clarinet, klezmer band and with Symphony Orchestra Op.30 (2012)
- Gut Yontev For klezmer band and Symphony Orchestra Op.31 (2012)
Music for movie Master of Silence Op.14 (2006) 
Ichmouratov is married to violist and violinist Elvira Misbakhova, and they have two daughters.
- Documentary Film "Ascent" about Airat Ichmouratov on TV channel Russia-1 Tatarstan 
- Interview with Airat Ichmouratov on Airelibre.tv 
- Interview with Airat Ichmouratov on Global News Montreal 
- Julie Vovan (14 April 2018). "La saison 2018-2019 sera la dernière de Marc David à l'OSDL et s'annonce riche et diversifiée". Montreal: Ludwig van Montréal. Retrieved 2019-08-28.
- Irwin Block (13 April 2014). "The Senior Times; CD review Kleztory". Montreal: The Senior Times. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Laval University: faculty of music (in french).mus.ulaval.ca
- Julie Fortier (28 March 2005). "When Folklore meets Classic (in French)". Montreal: Forum (University of Montreal). Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Analekta artist: Muczynski Trio". Montreal: Analekta.com. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "VIII International Contemporary Chamber Music Competition , Krakow 2004 (in Polish)". Krakow: Culture.pl. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Richard Boisvert (5 December 2008). "Airat Ichmouratov. A little nervous...(in French)". Quebec: Le Soleil. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Les Violons du Roy win a 2008-2009 Opus award". Quebec: violonsduroy.com / archives. Archived from the original on 2016-02-26. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Isabelle Houde (27 May 2010). "Quebec Symphony Orchestra takes the air this summer (in French)". Quebec: Le Soleil. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Timothy Mcdonald, Special to The Star (8 April 2011). "Review - I Musici di Montréal presented by the Harriman-Jewell Series". Kansas ,USA: Kansas City Star. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Clarissa Coli (21 August 2011). "Musical exchange (in Portuguese)". Rio de Janeiro: Diário do Vale. Archived from the original on 2016-02-26. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "The Philharmonic Society of Lima: 104 AUGUST MONTH ANNIVERSARY (in Spanish)". Lima , Peru: sociedadfilarmonica.com.pe. 5 August 2011. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Aisylu Kadyrova (21 September 2012). "Theatre named after M. Jalil will open the season with premiere of "Turandot" (in Russian)". Kazan, Russia. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Chandos Kleztory". Colchester, United Kingdom: chandos.net. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Bruno Deschênes (1 July 2008). "Kleztory: the soul of klezmer music in Quebec (in French)". Montreal: La Scena Musicale - Vol. 13. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Lise Raymond Communications (27 January 2008). "Opus Award Gala 2006-2007 (in French)" (PDF). Montreal: Press release / cqm.qc.ca. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "ADOSQ / Album of the Year 2014 - Traditional". Montreal: adisq.com. Archived from the original on 2015-10-19. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Erstklassig besetztes Intermezzo (in German)". Fürth, Germany: Stadt Fürth. 10 March 2013. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Intermezzo Klezmer Festival in Fürth (in German)". Hannover, Germany: Israel Magazin. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Jocelyne Tourangeau Sons (18 March 2005). "The Kids Games / Borscht and other gastronomic delights (In French)". Montreal: Planete Quebec. Archived from the original on 2015-10-06. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Richard Boisvert (7 February 2012). "Quebec Symphony orchestra breaks the silence (In French)". Quebec: Le Soleil. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "LES VIOLONS SUR LE TOIT (In French)". Quebec: violonsduroy.com. 4 April 2009. Archived from the original on 2015-10-07. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Christophe Huss (26 October 2010). "Classical concerts - Stéphane Tétreault steals the show (in French)". Montreal , Canada: Le Devoir. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Josianne Desloges (25 January 2011). "Doudouk player (in French)". Quebec, Canada: Le Soleil. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Claude Gingras (31 July 2012). "Last promising week at Lanaudière (in French)". Montreal, Quebec, Canada: La Presse. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Maureen Buja (26 April 2015). "Having the Final Word Cadenzas and Creativity". interlude.hk. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- Sofa Kultury na koncercie Orkiestry Amadeus
- Marianne Dandurand (2 August 2013). ""Wow" at Orford Festival (in French)". Magog, Canada: Le Reflet du Lac – Journal Magog. Archived from the original on 2015-11-24. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Julan Haylock (12 March 2012). "Carte Postale. Music by Brandão, Annunziata, Evangelista, Del Aguila, Nicolau, D'Rivera & Ichmouratov". Quebec, Canada: The Strad. Archived from the original on 2016-05-04. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Concert "Around Clarinet" (in French)". Longueuil: Les Journees de la Culture. 26 September 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "Toronto Centre for The Arts / Sinfonia Toronto/ Virtuosity". Toronto: www.tocentre.com. Archived from the original on 2015-10-01. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "11th season for Concerts at the Bic Islands (In French)". Rimouski , Canada: bicmusique.com. 11 May 2012. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Claude Gingras (15 May 2013). "When Orford announced a bit of Lanaudière ... (In French)". Montreal , Canada: La Presse. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Laurentians Classical Festival 2015: Composer in Residence (in French). concertshautes-laurentides.com
- "A.Ichmouratov showcase". Montreal , Canada: Canadian Music Centre. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Barber,Copland ,Britten,Bruch/ Discography , La Primavera, Kazan Chamber Orchestra". Kazan, Russia: la-primavera.org. 11 December 2002. Archived from the original on 2016-02-26. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- "Kleztory releases". Montreal, Quebec, Canada: Kleztory .com. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- "Shostakovich,Weinberg,Ichmouratov". Montreal, Quebec, Canada: analekta.com. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- "Le Vent du Nord Symphonique (in French)". Montreal, Quebec, Canada: archambault.ca. 16 November 2012. Archived from the original on 2015-11-24. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- "discography/ Carte Postale". Montreal, Quebec, Canada: quatuoralcan.com. Archived from the original on 2015-09-15. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- "Beethoven Violin Concerto with klezmer cadenzas by Ichmouratov". USA: lwarnerclassics.com. 1 August 2013. Archived from the original on 2015-11-24. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- "Klezmer Dreams, Andre Moisan, Jean Saulnier and Molinari Quartet". Canada: www.thewholenote.com. 31 October 2017. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Nigun, Kleztory". Canada: ledevoir.com. 17 March 2017. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Airat Ichmouratov :List of compositions". Montreal: airatichmouratov.com. 11 March 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- "Documentary Film "Ascent" by Zufar Hairullin (In Russian)". Kazan, Russia: trt-tv.ru. 3 March 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- "De qui? De quoi? Êtes-vous le contemporain? (in French)". Montreal , Canada: airelibre.tv. 17 November 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-11-25. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- "Airat Ichmouratov: Street busker to orchestra conductor". Montreal , Canada: globalnews.ca. 31 August 2017. Retrieved 2017-12-31.