Airedale International Air Conditioning
Alongside its Leeds headquarters, Airedale has manufacturing facilities in South Africa and the United States, exporting to 60 countries worldwide. Airedale is part of the Modine group of companies, based in Wisconsin, United States, which employs approximately 6,400 people at 30 facilities in 16 countries.
1974 – Formed by two Leeds based entrepreneurs Alan Duttine and Peter Midgley who recognised the opportunity for air conditioning for specialist computer and healthcare environments at the dawn of a new technological era. Alan and Peter who both worked for Calverley based Thermatank barely knew each other, but met by chance, at Leeds Bradford International Airport when their flights were delayed. The two got talking and decided to set up Airedale Air Conditioning in June 1974. Airedale Air Conditioning manufactures its first precision air conditioning unit and condenser unit, the VA5 and CU5.
1979 – Airedale moves to Park Mills, Rawdon, West Yorkshire.
1982 – In May 1982, Airedale Air Conditioning changed its name to Airedale International Air Conditioning Ltd. to reflect its growing export business. AIAC South Africa was formed in Johannesburg to manufacture precision air conditioning systems.
2013 – First UK manufacturer to develop a chiller incorporating the low global-warming potential (GWP) refrigerant R1234ze to hold British Standards Institution approval - the TurboChill. Airedale opens an operations hub in Moscow, Russia.
Acquisition by Modine Manufacturing Company
Airedale was privately owned until 2005 when it was acquired by US owned Modine Manufacturing Company. Modine, with 2014 fiscal revenues of $1.5 billion, specialises in thermal management solutions. Modine's products are used in light, medium and heavy-duty vehicles, heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment (HVAC), off-highway, industrial equipment and refrigeration systems.
On 6 September 2013, Airedale suffered a fire at its premises in Rawdon, West Yorkshire, Leeds. The factory was badly damaged; as a result the company relocated to temporary premises on the outskirts of Leeds City Centre whilst rebuilding work progressed on the existing site. Airedale moved back to the new redeveloped facility on 4 January 2016
Acquisition of Barkell Ltd.
In a statement to the New York Stock Exchange on 28 February 2014, Airedale International's parent company, Modine Manufacturing Company, announced it had completed the acquisition of Consett-based manufacturer of custom-built air handling units, Barkell Ltd. The acquisition allowed Airedale to extend its product portfolio to include a range of air handling Units (AHUs) which offer data centres, offices and industrial facilities a cooling system which uses indirect fresh air as the primary cooling medium.
Manufacturing locations & offices
Alongside its UK operations in Leeds, West Yorkshire, Airedale has manufacturing facilities in South Africa and the United States. Airedale is the only manufacturer of precision air conditioning systems in Africa. In November 2013, Airedale opened an operations hub in Moscow and in the Dubai Airport Freezone in February 2014.
Airedale has a number of products over five air conditioning product ranges. These ranges including Precision Air Conditioning, IT cooling, Chillers, Comfort cooling, Condensers & Condensing Units and Air Handling Units.
Airedale also provides building management systems and controls design and integration, service, maintenance, spare parts and offers air conditioning and refrigeration courses through its on-site training school. A special projects team manages large-scale, complex upgrade programmes for key customers including the country’s major telecoms providers.
2014 - Data Centre Solutions (DCS) Award for ‘Datacentre Energy Efficiency Product of the Year’ awarded to the SmartCool SD/SN/SR high efficiency dedicated chilled water (CW) precision air conditioning (PAC) system
2014 - H&V News Award for ‘Commercial Building Services Product of the Year’ awarded to the SmartCool™ SD/SN/SR high efficiency dedicated chilled water (CW) precision air conditioning (PAC) system
2015 - CIBSE Building Performance Award for ‘Energy Saving Product of the Year’ awarded to the TurboChill™ chiller with low GWP refrigerant R1234ze (200-1360 kW)
2015 - Data Centre Solutions (DCS) Award for ‘Data Centre Cooling Product of the Year’ awarded to the AireFlow™ indirect adiabatic air handling unit (100-440 kW)
2015 - RAC Cooling Industry Award for 'End User (Non-supermarket) of the Year’ awarded to BAE Systems. Together with energy consultants, Joule Consultants, Airedale helped BAE Systems Warton achieve annual savings of 70-80% on its computer room air conditioning energy costs.
2015 - HVR Award for 'Sustainable Project of the Year’ for Airedale's work with BAE Systems. Together with energy consultants, Joule Consultants, Airedale helped BAE Systems Warton achieve annual savings of 70-80% on its computer room air conditioning energy costs.
2015 - Energy Institute Award in the 'Technology’ category for Airedale's work with BAE Systems. Together with energy consultants, Joule Consultants, Airedale helped BAE Systems Warton achieve annual savings of 70-80% on its computer room air conditioning energy costs.
- "Airedale International Air Conditioning Ltd" Yell.com. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "Airedale International Air Conditioning" ESI Building Services Index. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "Appointment of Nissar Rahman marks another milestone in Airedale International’s export growth programme" Leeds Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "For Professionals" Modine Manufacturing Company. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "Airedale – 30 years on" Modern Building Services Magazine. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- "Airedale House" Google Maps. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- "High efficiency OnRak unveiled at London launch" Data Centre Solutions. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- "Airedale claims 'first to market' TurboChill low GWP refrigerant" RAC news. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- "Airedale establishes Moscow office" Cooling Post. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- "Airedale establishes new ‘gateway’ in Middle East" Yorkshire Evening Post. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "Royal opens Airedale's new advanced manufacturing site - The Manufacturer". Retrieved 2016-07-06.
- "Modine Acquires Airedale International Air Conditioning" ACHR News. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- "Modine Manufacturing Company Revenue & Earnings Per Share (EPS)" Nasdaq. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "Major blaze at Rawdon air conditioning factory" BBC news. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "Cooling specialist returns to rebuilt factory site devastated by fire" Bradford Telegraph & Argus. Retrieved February 11, 2016.
- "Manufacturer completes acquisition of Barkell" H&V News. Retrieved December 24, 2014.
- "2012 Winners" RAC Cooling Industry Awards 2012. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- "Winners 2014" RAC Cooling Industry Awards 2014. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- "2014 Winners and runners up" DCS Awards 2014. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- "2014 Winners" H&V News Awards 2014. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- "2015 Winners" CIBSE Building Performance Awards 2015. Retrieved February 16, 2015.
- "2015 Winners and runners up" DCS Awards 2015. Retrieved May 18, 2015.
- "Winners 2015" RAC Cooling Industry Awards 2015. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Winners 2015" HVR Awards 2015. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- "EI Awards" Energy Institute 2015. Retrieved November 23, 2015.
- "2017 Winners Announced!" Ecobuild. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- " RICS Awards Yorkshire. Retrieved May 22, 2017.