|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (February 2014)|
|Headquarters||Radnor Township, Pennsylvania|
(President and CEO)
Number of employees
|more than 17,000(Jul 2015)|
Airgas, Inc., headquartered in Radnor Township, Pennsylvania, through its subsidiaries, is the largest American distributor of industrial, medical and specialty gases (delivered in packaged or cylinder form), and hardgoods (welding, safety and related products).
Airgas is also the second-largest U.S. distributor of safety products, the largest U.S. producer of nitrous oxide and dry ice, and the largest supplier of liquid carbon dioxide in the Southeastern United States. The company is also a distributor of process chemicals, refrigerants and ammonia products.
Most of its 15,000 employees work in 11 regional companies to serve a diversified customer base. Its integrated network of about 1,100 locations includes branches, cylinder fill plants, production facilities, specialty gas laboratories, and regional distribution centers. Airgas markets through multiple channels, including its own branches and outside sales force, a Strategic Accounts Team focused on large customers, distributors and resellers, telesales, catalog and eBusiness channels.
Airgas was founded by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Peter McCausland in 1982, and became a publicly traded company in 1986. Through more than 400 acquisitions and internal growth, Airgas built the largest national distribution network in the packaged gas industry.
On 8 September 2009, Airgas replaced Cooper Industries in the S&P500 index.
In October 2009, John McGlade, the President and Chief Executive Officer of Air Products, a competing concern, privately asked McCausland whether he'd be interested in merging the two companies. McCausland rejected the idea.
Acquired by the French Company Air Liquide in 2015
- "Airgas Inc. Company Information". Market Business News. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "AIRGAS INC 2014 Annual Report Form (10-K)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. May 29, 2014.
- "Airgas, Form 10-K, Annual Report, Filing Date May 29, 2012" (PDF). secdatabase.com. Retrieved Jan 1, 2013.
- "France's Air Liquide to buy U.S. peer Airgas in $13.4 billion deal". Reuters. 17 November 2015.
- "Airgas, Form SC 14D9,Tender Offer Solicitation, Filing Date Feb 22, 2010". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Jan 1, 2013.
- "Airgas, Form SC TO-C, Tender Offer, Filing Date Feb 5, 2010". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Jan 1, 2013.
- "Airgas, Form SC TO-T/A, Filing Date Jul 8, 2010" (PDF). secdatabase.com. Retrieved Jan 1, 2013.
- "Airgas, Form SC TO-T/A, Filing Date Sep 7, 2010". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Jan 1, 2013.
- "Airgas, Form SC TO-T/A, Filing Date Dec 9, 2010" (PDF). secdatabase.com. Retrieved Jan 1, 2013.
- "Airgas, Form SC TO-T/A, Filing Date Feb 16, 2011". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Jan 1, 2013.
- "Airgas, Form SC 14D9/A, Filing Date Feb 16, 2011". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Jan 1, 2013.
- Airgas Corporate Website
- Google Finance profile
- Airgas Ammonia and Specialty Products website
- Airgas Refrigerants website
- Airgas Welder Rentals website
- Airgas Dry Ice website, part of Airgas.com
- Airgas SEC Filings