|Based in||Milan, Italy|
Airone (English: Heron) is an Italian science magazine devoted to science and technology issues. It is published in Milan, Italy, by Editoriale Giorgio Mondadori (former company, now a division of Cairo Editore, a subsidiary of Cairo Communication).
History and profile
Airone was founded in 1981 as an ecologist magazine primarily containing articles about animal world, nature, ethnology and geography. The founder and first director was Egidio Gavazzi. It was for years the most widely circulated scientific magazine in Italy, with a peak of average circulation of about 250,000 copies per month. Between 1985 and 1986 it co-produced with RAI the nature documentary series Pan. In 1989 it was launched a spin-off for the younger readers, Airone Junior, renamed Dodo in April 1995.
Airone was described as a "magazine similar to National Geographic, but perhaps more conservation-minded", and it was referred to as "a stunning natural history magazine, the best of several European magazines". In an article about the first ten years of the magazine, the L'Unità journalist Antonio Del Giudice pointed how the magazine was "not just an editorial phenomenon, but also a cultural, political e social phenomenon".
- "La natura firmata Airone in una collana "video"". La Stampa (286). 8 November 1988. p. 15.
- Antonio Del Giudice (14 May 1991). "Airone a dieci anni parte per l'Urss". L'Unità. p. 18.
- "Periodici – 'Airone'. Prova ancora a volare alto". PrimaOnline. 17 December 2008. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- La Civiltà Cattolica. Collection Issues 3378-3383. Society of Jesus, 1991.
- Marco Gisotti, Tessa Gelisio. Guida ai Green Jobs: Come l'ambiente sta cambiando il mondo del lavoro. Edizioni Ambiente, 2012. ISBN 8866270377.
- Laura Putti (26 November 1985). "Pan: arriva la trasmissione dalla parte degli animali". La Repubblica. p. 31. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- Laura Putti (26 October 1986). "Pan, piu ricco tutto nuovo". La Repubblica. p. 25. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- Gianni Bono. Guida al fumetto italiano. Epierre, 2003. pp. 32–33.
- Silvia Maoli (8 November 1989). "Ecco Airone junior. Una nuova rivista ai baby-ecologisti". Stampa Sera (298). p. 2.
- James Lasdun, Pia Davis. Tuscany and Umbria. Penguin, 2004. ISBN 1440651108.
- William A. Katz, Linda Sternberg Katz. Magazines for Libraries - Ninth Edition. R. R. Bowker, 1997. ISBN 0835239071.
- Anne Austin et. al. (2008). "Western Europe Market and Media Fact" (PDF). Zenith Optimedia. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- "Diffusione Stampa - Dati mensili Mensili 12-2013". PrimaOnline. March 2014. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- Airone Official Website (Italian)