Airport Improvement Program
The Airport Improvement Program is a United States federal grant program that provides funds to airports to help improve safety and efficiency. Improvement projects relate to runways, taxiways, ramps, lighting, signage, weather stations, NAVAIDs, land acquisition, and some areas of planning. The money is raised through taxes on airplane tickets sold to the public and a tax on aviation fuel.
In 2009, funds under the program went to 389 airports used by airlines to offer scheduled passenger service, and to 1,121 general-aviation (GA) airports in communities with no airline service. As of 2009, the 389 airline airports shared $2,199,335,046, averaging $5.5 million per airport. The 1,121 GA airports shared $831,717,227, averaging $741,942.
The program was established under the Airport and Airway Improvement Act of 1982 (Pub.L. 97–248) by combining the Planning Grant Program (PGP)and Airport Development Air Program (ADAP) into a single normally multi-year grant. In 1994, the provisions of the Airport and Airway Improvement Act of 1982 were codified in subchapter I of chapter 471 of title 49, United States Code.
Previous related programs include:
- Federal Airport Act of 1946
- Federal-Aid Airport Program (FAAP)
- Airport and Airway Development Act of 1970
- Planning Grant Program (PGP)
- Airport Development Aid Program (ADAP)
Amendments to 1982 Act
U.S. Congressional amendments to the Airport and Airway Improvement Act.
|Date of Enactment||Public Law Number||U.S. Statute Citation||U.S. Legislative Bill||U.S. Presidential Administration|
|December 30, 1987||P.L. 100-223||101 Stat. 1486||H.R. 2310||Ronald W. Reagan|
|October 31, 1992||P.L. 102-581||106 Stat. 4872||H.R. 6168||George H.W. Bush|
|August 23, 1994||P.L. 103-305||108 Stat. 1569||H.R. 2739||William J. Clinton|
- Frank, Thomas (September 17, 2009), "Feds keep little-used airports in business", USA Today, retrieved 2009-09-17
- USA Today slants coverage to favor airlines, September 17, 2009
- "Airport and Airway Improvement Act of 1982 ~ P.L. 97-248" (PDF). 96 Stat. 671 ~ House Bill 4961. Legis★Works. September 3, 1982.
- "H.R. 4961 ~ Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982". P.L. 97-248 ~ 96 Stat. 324. Congress.gov. November 13, 1981.
- "Airport Improvement Program" on the FAA website
- Peters, Gerhard; Woolley, John T. "George Bush: "Statement on Signing the Airport and Airway Safety, Capacity, Noise Improvement, and Intermodal Transportation Act of 1992," October 31, 1992". The American Presidency Project. University of California - Santa Barbara.
- Peters, Gerhard; Woolley, John T. "William J. Clinton: "Statement on Signing the Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act of 1994," August 23, 1994". The American Presidency Project. University of California - Santa Barbara.