Airport Security Unit (Hong Kong)
|Airport Security Unit (ASU)|
|Branch||Hong Kong Police Force|
|Type||Airport Police Special Force|
|Role||Airport security and counter terrorism|
|Part of||Airport District|
|Garrison/HQ||Chek Lap Kok Police station, 8 Catering Road West, Chek Lap Kok|
|Colors||Dark blue and disruptive pattern|
The Airport Security Unit (Abbreviation: ASU; Chinese: 機場特警組) formed in 1977 as Special Action Squad, is a special force of the Hong Kong Police Force tasked with the security of the Hong Kong International Airport.
ASU is responsible for airport security, primarily targeting terrorist situations such as aircraft hijacking, but in urgent situations, is used as a backup force for situations outside of the airport.
ASU officers can be identified by their distinctive deep blue uniform and are armed with sub machine guns (SMGs) as well as semi-automatic pistols.
- Glock 17 - Standard issue sidearm for all ASU officers, loaded with 15 round of 9mm Parabellum magazines and carried in a drop leg holster
- Heckler & Koch MP5 - Standard issue SMG for all ASU officers. Loaded with 28 round of 9mm Parabellum magazines, the MP5 could be deployed in multiple variants, such as A3、A5 and RAS versions.
- AR-15 - One of the standard issue rifles of ASU
- M16 rifle - One of the standard issue rifles of ASU
- Benelli M1 Super 90- Standard issue shotgun of ASU
- HK PSG1 - Standard issue sniper rifle, loaded with 20-round magazines of 7.62×51mm NATO.
In popular culture
Compared to other units, the Airport Security Unit rarely appeared in the mass media, and there has yet to be any movie or television dedicated to them. However, the Unit was featured occasionally as part of films typically of the cantonese-action genre:
- Sergeant Tabloid (2012)
|This Hong Kong–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This law enforcement agency article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|