Type of site
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, US|
Airtable is a cloud collaboration service headquartered in San Francisco. It was founded in 2012 by Howie Liu, Andrew Ofstad, and Emmett Nicholas.
Airtable is a spreadsheet-database hybrid, with the features of a database but applied to a spreadsheet. The fields in an Airtable table are similar to cells in a spreadsheet, but have types such as 'checkbox', 'phone number', and 'drop-down list', and can reference file attachments like images.
Users can create a database, set up column types, add records, link tables to one another, collaborate, sort records and publish views to external websites.
- February 2015: Raised $3 million from Caffeinated Capital, Freestyle Capital, Data Collective, CrunchFund.
- April 2015: Airtable launches its API and embedded databases.
- May 2015: Raised $7.6 million funding from Charles River Ventures and Ashton Kutcher.
- July 2015: Introduced Airtable Forms to collect and organize data.
- August 2015: Airtable made "Add to Slack" option available to integrate Airtable with Slack.
- December 2015: Airtable redesigned its iOS app.
- December 2015: Airtable introduced barcode as new field type.
- March 2018: Raised $52 million in Series B funding; announced the launch of Airtable Blocks.
- November 2018: Raised $100 million in Series C funding.
- September 2020: Raised $185 million in Series D funding.
- March 2021: Raised $270 million in Series E funding; funding was led by Greenoaks and also included WndrCo, Caffeinated Capital, CRV, and Thrive.
- December 2021: Airtable raised $735 million in a Series F funding round that boosted its valuation to $11 billion.
- December 2022: Airtable CEO and co-founder Howie Liu informed employees that a fifth of them would be laid off, stating: “In trying to do too many things at once, we have grown our organization at a breakneck pace over the past few years....We will continue to emphasize growth, but do so by investing heavily in the levers that yield the highest growth relative to their cost.” Three months prior to this announcement, Liu purchased a $31 million house in Beverly Hills.
- Cloud collaboration
- Document collaboration
- Collaborative software
- Collaborative real-time editor
- ^ "Airtable review: A drop-dead easy relational database management system". Macworld. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- ^ Martin, James A. "3 ways Airtable for iOS can help you ditch spreadsheets". CIO. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- ^ Lawler, Ryan (February 25, 2015). "With $3M in Funding, Airtable Makes Complex Databases Usable on Your Mobile Phone". TechCrunch. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- ^ Russell, Kyle (April 30, 2015). "Airtable Launches Its API And Embedded Databases". TechCrunch. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- ^ "Airtable lands $7.6M round to help build simple, extensible database apps". VentureBeat. June 29, 2015. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- ^ "Create Forms in a Snap!". Covering Bases. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- ^ "Airtable and Slack: Keeping Your Team In Sync". Covering Bases. August 25, 2015. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- ^ "Airtable Introduces Newly Redesigned iOS App to Make Database Creation Available to Anyone With an iPhone". Marketwire. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- ^ "A Brief History of Barcodes". Covering Bases. December 23, 2015. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- ^ "Airtable Raises $52 Million and Launches Airtable Blocks..." BusinessWire. March 15, 2018. Retrieved March 16, 2018.
- ^ Lunden, Ingrid (November 15, 2018). "Airtable, maker of a coding platform for non-techies, raises $100M at a $1.1B valuation". TechCrunch. Archived from the original on April 15, 2019. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- ^ "Airtable raises $185M and launches new low-code and automation features". TechCrunch. September 14, 2020. Retrieved September 14, 2020.
- ^ "Cloud-based software company Airtable". mg21. April 20, 2021.
- ^ "Airtable is now valued at $5.77B with a fresh $270 million in Series E funding". TechCrunch. March 15, 2021. Retrieved October 26, 2021.
- ^ León, Riley de (December 13, 2021). "Software start-up Airtable hits $11 billion valuation in latest funding, adds Salesforce, Michael Dell as investors". CNBC. Retrieved April 13, 2022.
- ^ "San Francisco tech unicorn Airtable lays off a fifth of staff as multiple execs exit". December 9, 2022.