|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
Type of site
|Video chat, real time (media)|
|Owner||Shawn Fanning, Sean Parker|
|Launched||June 5, 2012|
|239,683 (April 2014[update])|
Airtime is a live video website with real-time sharing and communication, where users post videos and respond to them in real-time. Similar in concept to the random video chat service Chatroulette, the website also incorporates a social network to enable users to connect with one another. It launched to the public on June 5, 2012. Similar social discovery services are Tagged.com and Badoo.com.
Airtime is a joint venture between Sean Parker and Shawn Fanning, creators of the music-sharing service Napster. Over 8 million dollars was secured to get the new service started. Initial investors included actor Ashton Kutcher, talent agent Scooter Braun and musician will.i.am. Other Airtime investors include Founders Fund, where Parker serves as managing director; Accel Partners; Andreessen Horowitz; Yuri Milner of Digital Sky Technologies; Ron Conway; and Yahoo!'s Marissa Mayer.
Through its random video chat service, Airtime aims to connect users based on common interests and related interests that users may not be familiar with, thereby expanding one's network and interest base.
Airtime went live for general use on June 5, 2012. The site was launched after a press conference in New York City, which featured a number of major celebrities, including Snoop Dogg, Olivia Munn and Martha Stewart.
- Segall, Laurie (June 5, 2012). "Napster founders launch new venture: Airtime". CNN. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Airtime.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Airtime - FAQ". Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Badoo". Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Social Discovery Meets Gaming Discovery: Tagged Buys WeGame". Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Steven Bertoni (June 5, 2012). "Sneak Peek At Parker And Fanning's New Start Up Airtime". Forbes (forbes.com). Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "Startup Launch As Celebrity Bonanza: Airtime’s Ritzy, Glitzy, Glitchy Debut". Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Airtime.com Analytics" SimilarWeb. Retrieved 2015-7-12.