Aitor López Rekarte
|Full name||Aitor López Rekarte|
|Date of birth||18 August 1975|
|Place of birth||Mondragón, Spain|
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|1994–1997||Real Sociedad B||98||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
His professional career was closely connected to Real Sociedad, where he played 13 of 15 total seasons, appearing in 338 competitive games.
Born in Mondragón, Basque Country, López Rekarte played a decade for local club Real Sociedad, with nearly 350 overall appearances with the first team. After being promoted to the main squad for 1997–98 he immediately became the undisputed starter, with his worst output consisting of 26 games in his second professional season.
In that first campaign, as Real finished third, Rekarte featured mostly at left back, as habitual starter Agustín Aranzábal suffered a long injury lay-off. Eventually, he also became team captain, only missing one La Liga match in 2002–03 for a final runner-up place.
In July 2007, López Rekarte switched to newly promoted UD Almería, but appeared scarcely throughout the season as the Andalusia team overachieved, being subsequently released. On 18 March 2009, he joined second division side SD Eibar in a deal until the end of the campaign; after the latter's relegation, he chose to retire from football at nearly 34.
- López Rekarte se desvincula del Almería (López Rekarte cuts ties with Almería); Marca, 27 August 2008 (in Spanish)
- El Eibar ficha a López Rekarte (Eibar sign López Rekarte); Marca, 18 March 2009 (in Spanish)
- Una regeneración completa, o casi, para una nueva etapa (Complete regeneration, or nearly, for a new spell); Gara, 3 June 2009 (in Spanish)
- Apagón y caos en el España-Escocia (Blackout and chaos in Spain-Scotland); El Mundo, 4 September 2004 (in Spanish)
- Mondragón, una 'fábrica' de defensas txuriurdines (Mondragón, a 'factory' of txuriurdin defenders); Marca, 22 September 2017 (in Spanish)