This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mayor of Ventspils|
Assumed office |
September 26, 1953|
Jēkabpils, Latvian Soviet Socialist Republic, USSR
Communist Party of the Soviet Union (1975 - 1990)|
For Latvia and Ventspils (since 1994)
|Alma mater||University of Latvia|
|Net worth||US$270 million (2013)|
Aivars Lembergs (born September 26, 1953) is a Latvian politician and oligarch, who has been the mayor of Ventspils since 1988. Since 2008 he has faced a long-running investigation for bribery, money laundering and abuse of office; he vehemently denies all wrongdoing. Lembergs also featured in the 2016 Panama papers offshore scandal.
Lembergs was born in Jēkabpils, Latvia. He studied economics in Latvian State University (now known as the University of Latvia), graduating in 1977. He then worked in various positions in the Communist party of Latvia, becoming mayor of Ventspils in 1988. He stayed in this position after Latvia became independent and has been re-elected five times. Lembergs was the leader of the local political party, Latvijai un Ventspilij ("For Latvia and Ventspils") which he founded in 1994. Latvijai un Ventspilij has completely dominated the city politics since it was founded. Before the 2006 parliamentary election, Lembergs' party Latvijai and Ventspilij entered into an alliance with the Union of Greens and Farmers and the Union of Greens and Farmers named Lembergs as its candidate for the Prime Minister of Latvia. He remains its leading figure and chief financial supporter. He is one of the three "oligarchs" against which Zatlers' Reform Party has pledged to act if it achieves office.
- "The Lembergs still Latvia's wealthiest family in 2013". The Baltic Course. 2013. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- E.L. "Time up for tycoons; Latvian elections: the oligarchs' exit" The Economist September 13, 2011
- http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?docid=178741&doclang=en European Court of Justice May 25, 2016
- Jemberga, Sanita (13 July 2018). "New Panama leak sheds light on the wealth of Latvian oligarch's daughter". Re:Baltica. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "Latvian public figures feature in Panama papers" Baltic Times April 7, 2016
- Goehring, Jeannette (2007). Nations in Transit 2007: Democratization from Central Europe to Eurasia. London: Rowman & Littlefield. p. 404. ISBN 978-0-932088-26-0.
- Eglitis, Aaron. "Latvian Parties Agree Budget, Euro as Coalition Talks Begin" Bloomberg.com September 19, 2011
Media related to Aivars Lembergs at Wikimedia Commons