Aivi & Surasshu
Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (October 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Aivi & Surasshu
|Labels||Materia Collective, Ubiktune|
Aivi & Surasshu (stylized as aivi & surasshu) are an electronic composer duo, composed of pianist Aivi Tran and electronic artist Steven "Surasshu" Velema. They are known for composing soundtracks, including that of Cartoon Network's animated series Steven Universe. The two married in 2015.
The Black Box (2012–2013)
Communicating after the convention, the two collaborated on an independent album project entitled The Black Box, and released on Ubiktune in 2013. The project was a combination of original piano and chiptune music, with several video game covers including "Lonely Rolling Star" from Katamari Damacy. The album was positively received, with Kotaku describing it as "lush, melodic, and well put-together".
Steven Universe (2013–2019)
The duo were suggested to creator Rebecca Sugar of the animated television series Steven Universe by storyboard artist Jeff Liu, shortly after the release of The Black Box, and were subsequently brought onto the project. The duo made use of leitmotifs expressing each character's personality, which changes slightly depending on the situation. The character Pearl was often accompanied by a piano, Garnet by a synth bass, Amethyst by drums, and Steven with chiptune tones. They worked with guitarist Stemage on some parts of the soundtrack, including the opening for the second season.
- Thurm, Eric (January 15, 2016). "Dropping Gems: An Interview with the Composers of the Score for 'Steven Universe'". Noisey. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "About". Surasshu.
- surasshu (October 2, 2016). "r/stevenuniverse - We're aivi & surasshu, the music composers of Steven Universe. Ask us anything ♫". reddit. Retrieved September 29, 2020.
- "aivi & surasshu - The Black Box". ubiktune.com. Retrieved September 29, 2020.
- Hamilton, Kirk (November 3, 2013). "Acoustic Piano Meets Chiptunes, And It's Freakin' Lovely". Kotaku.
- McDonnell, Chris (July 11, 2017). Steven Universe: Art & Origins. ABRAMS. pp. 161–162. ISBN 978-1-68335-083-5. OCLC 1096293421.
- "Top 200 Albums: Week of June 24, 2017". Billboard. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "'Steven Universe, Vol. 2 (Original Soundtrack)' by Steven Universe (American Albums iTunes Chart)". iTunesCharts.net.
- "Soundtrack Steven Universe, Volume 2 Chart History". Billboard.
- tran, aivi (November 16, 2018). "Music by me & @surasshu/ Guitars performed by @Stemage/ Follow @ChevyRay for updates on Ikenfell".
- Wejebe, Alyssa (August 29, 2019). "Steven Universe Composer Aivi Tran Talks About Creating Music for Games". Cliqist. Retrieved September 29, 2020.
- Rizzo-Smith, Julian (June 24, 2019). "Meet The Young Aussie Behind The Most Beautiful Game Of E3". Junkee.
- tran, aivi (June 13, 2018). "I'm working on @Cryamore, Ikenfell, and contributing to some other game soundtracks I also composed music for two Google Doodles games (Halloween 2015 and Olympics 2016) with my boy @surasshu".