||This article may be written from a fan's point of view, rather than a neutral point of view. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Aja Kim performing as Bruce 'LEE' Chickinson
|Associated acts||Clarence Clemons
Aja Kim Project
The Iron Maidens
Wilma Palma e Vampiros
Aja Kim is an American singer and songwriter.
Born in Fayetteville, NC and raised in Philadelphia, PA Aja Kim first came to public attention when she collaborated with rock and roll saxophonist, Clarence Clemons (who was best known as a member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band) on the 1995 Japan-only CD release Aja and the Big Man - Get It On. Three songs she co-wrote were her solo vocal contributions to the CD, along with a duet with Clarence of the Ike & Tina Turner classic "Baby, Get It On." She was prominently featured alongside Mr. Clemons on the cover of the release. Subsequently, they performed as "Clarence Clemons and Aja" at various venues and festivals in the U.S. on both the East and West Coast, as well as at a pre-Winter Olympic celebration held in the Olympic Village in Utah in late 1996.
She continued to work as a freelance session vocalist and voice over actor throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s on radio and television commercials and sang on CD releases by both major label and independent artists, including the comeback CD, Straight from the Heart, of former Top Jimmy & The Rhythm Pigs member, Carlos Guitarlos. During this time, she also toured in both the United States and South America with a diverse collection of artists ranging from former Tower of Power guitarist, Bruce Conte, to South American rock superstars Wilma Palma e Vampiros before independently releasing her first solo CD, Modern Babylon.
In early 2004, Ms. Kim joined the all-female tribute band The Iron Maidens, who had been holding auditions for a new lead vocalist following the departure of member Jenny Warren. She made her onstage debut with the Maidens at the Galaxy Theater in Santa Ana, CA, on May 28, 2004. In addition, she surprised the band, management and fans by recording all of her lead and background vocal tracks for the Maidens' self-titled debut album in a span of less than three days. This CD was notable for the cover artwork created by original Iron Maiden album cover artist, Derek Riggs. She received a "Rockie" that year for "Best Female Vocalist" from The Rock City News Awards .
On July 1, 2008, Ms. Kim announced in her fan newsletter, Adventures in Ajaland, her departure from the Iron Maidens to resume her solo recording and writing career. This was subsequently reported, along with news of her songwriting collaboration with Motörhead guitarist, Phil Campbell, on Blabbermouth.net.
- Aja and The Big Man - Get It On (Clarence Clemons) (1995)
- Straight from the Heart (Carlos Guitarlos) (2003) - "Ain't That Loving You" (with Mike Watt) 
- Shades Of Blue (Bruce Conte) (2004) 
- Modern Babylon (Aja Kim) (2005)
- World's Only Female Tribute to Iron Maiden (The Iron Maidens) (2005/2006)
- Route 666 (The Iron Maidens) (2007)
- The Root of All Evil (The Iron Maidens) (2008)
Aja Kim has been featured as a solo artist, with Clarence Clemons and with The Iron Maidens, in The Los Angeles Times, Guitar World, Metal Hammer, Hammerworld (Hungary), Metal Edge, Kerrang, The Japan Times, Gibson Lifestyle, FHM, Maxim, Music Connection Magazine, Japan's Burn Magazine, Korea's Hot Music Magazine, The OC Register, Salt Lake City Weekly, Phoenix New Times, Houston Press, Spokane 7, Fairbanks Daily News, Anchorage Daily News, as well as on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, KCAL's 9 on the Town (L.A.), KDBC 4 News (El Paso, TX) and 97.1 KLSX-FM's The Two Media Whores w/ David Adelson & Conway and Whitman (L.A.).
- Maggie Powell Blog - Aja Kim
- Japan Times Dec. 1995 'Tokyo Takes Note by Peter Serafin'
- The Iron Maidens Forums - YESSSS!!! Maidens at the GALAXY!!!
- The Iron Maidens Forums - Studio Time!
- Blabbermouth.net - Former THE IRON MAIDENS Singer Collaborating With MOTÖRHEAD's PHIL CAMPBELL - July 3, 2008
- Carlos Guitarlos.com - Straight from the Heart
- Strokeland Records - Bruce Conte
- Los Angeles Times June 1996 'Big Man's New Road Leads To Aja' by Mike Boehm
- Hammerworld May 2008 'Review of Modern Babylon by Gyorgy Danev'
- The Iron Maidens on '9 on the Town'
- The Iron Maidens on 97.1 KLSX