|Genres||Dark metal, black metal, dark folk|
|Years active||1996–2012, 2016-present|
|Associated acts||Amorphis, Mannhai, Shape of Despair, To Separate the Flesh from the Bones, Deathchain, Shade Empire, Waltari, Kylähullut, Mary-Ann, Am I Blood, Sotajumala|
Ajattara is a five-piece dark metal band from Helsinki, Finland led by Pasi Koskinen (ex Amorphis). They formed in 1996, split up 2012 and reformed in 2016. They were signed to Spinefarm Records and have released eight albums, their most recent being Lupaus, which was released in May 2017.
Ajattara formed in 1996 as a side project of Amorphis singer Pasi Koskinen. Their first release was a demo tape entitled Helvetissä on syntisen taivas which was released in 1998. The band then signed to Spikefarm Records and went on to release three albums - Itse in 2001, Kuolema in 2003 and Tyhjyys in 2004. These albums were met with largely good reviews. Ajattara then went on to release a Christmas Single in the Novembers of 2004 and 2005, which is a tradition they have done for the last three years. They were entitled Ilon juhla (2004) and Joulu (2005). The band then went on to release another album in 2006, entitled Äpäre, which was met with similar reviews as their last three albums. The band continued with the Christmas single tradition of 2004 and 2005 by releasing a single entitled Sika in 2006.
The band entered the studio on 1 June 2007 to begin recording on the album Kalmanto which was released on 5 September 2007. However, this album was not met with such good reviews as Ajattara's other albums, as some critics said the album sounded chaotic and forced. In April 2009 Ajattara released their 6th album entitled Noitumaa, this time being an all-acoustic album, which received clearly better reviews than the previous release.
On 23 March 2016 the band made an announcement on their Facebook page that they will be playing at the Norwegian Blastfest in February 2017. Shortly after, on 9 May 2016, Pasi Koskinen has announced the reunion of the band, announcing further live dates including Nummirock 2016 in Finland and Satans Convention 2017 in Germany.
Ajattara combine elements of black metal that play a style of black metal not dissimilar to Celtic Frost and to a lesser extent Samael. The combined use of synthesisers and heavy guitar sounds give Ajattara a distinct "grimey" sound. The lyrical themes of Ajattara usually deal with death, evil and paganism.
- Ruoja (Pasi Koskinen) - vocals (1996-2012) guitars (1996-2009)
- Kalmos (Vesa Wahlroos) - guitars, backing vocals (2006-2012)
- Tohtori Kuolio (Juha Harju)- bass, backing vocals (2007-2012)
- Raajat (Janne Immonen) - keyboards, backing vocals (2007-2012)
- Tartunta (Mynni Luukkainen) - guitars (2009-2012)
- Malakias 6,8 (Rainer Tuomikanto) - drums (2011-2012)
- Itse (2001)
- Kuolema (2003)
- Tyhjyys (2004)
- Äpäre (2006)
- Kalmanto (2007)
- Noitumaa (2009)
- Murhat (2011)
- Lupaus (2017)
- Joululevy (2009)
- Helvetissä on syntisen taivas (1998)
- Ilon juhla (2004)
- Joulu (2005)
- Sika (2006)
- Tulppaani (2007)
- Rivadavia, Eduardo "Ajattara Biography", Allmusic, Macrovision Corporation
- John, Juliane (17 April 2006). "AJATTARA". TARTAREAN DESIRE WEBZINE. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- Tolkki, Tero (March 2006). "Interview with Pasi Koskinen of Ajattara". Metal Finland. Archived from the original on 21 October 2014. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- K., Enrico (12 February 2011). "CD Review: Ajattara - Murhat". Metal.tm. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Lords of Metal ezine".
- "AJATTARA - THE END - Facebook".
- "AJATTARA - AJATTARA lopetti olemasta!!!Painukaa vittuun... - Facebook".
- "AJATTARA - There ya go..."
- "AJATTARA - ITSE RUOJA SURUNTUOJA is back".
- "Former TO/DIE/FOR And SINERGY Drummer TONMI LILLMAN Dead At 38". Blabbermouth.net. 15 February 2012. Archived from the original on 17 February 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2012.