Ajay Kakkar, Baron Kakkar
The Lord Kakkar
|Chairman of the Judicial Appointments Commission|
|Assumed office |
3 October 2016
|Preceded by||Christopher Stephens|
|Chairman of the House of Lords Appointments Commission|
1 October 2013 – 25 October 2018
|Preceded by||The Lord Jay of Ewelme|
|Succeeded by||The Lord Bew|
|Member of the House of Lords|
|Assumed office |
22 March 2010
Ajay Kumar Kakkar
28 April 1964
|Alma mater||King's College London|
Imperial College London
He was educated at Alleyn's School, King's College London (BSc Basic Medical Science with Pharmacology, 1985; MBBS, 1988) and Imperial College London (PhD, 1998). Son of Prof Vijay Kakkar, pioneer in the use of low-molecular weight heparin therapy, he followed in his footsteps as a surgeon and medical researcher.
Kakkar is Chair of UCLPartners, the Academic Health Science Partnership, Director of the Thrombosis Research Institute, London, and lectures and publishes widely on his specialism. He has worked with the NHS on its strategy to prevent venous thromboembolism (VTE).
Kakkar has been noted for his work promoting British business as an ambassador for the United Kingdom. He has taken 11 trips in 2014 to promote business relations.
- Hagerty, James R. "Vijay Kakkar Helped Prevent Deadly Blood Clots During Surgery". WSJ. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- Thrombosis Research Institute Archived 23 February 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 May 2009. Retrieved 25 March 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "No. 59372". The London Gazette. 25 March 2010. p. 5233.
- Department of the Official Report (Hansard), House of Lords, Westminster (22 March 2010). "Lords Hansard text for 22 March 2010". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Department of the Official Report (Hansard), House of Lords, Westminster (22 March 2010). "Lords Appointments". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "Message from the Chairman". House of Lords Appointments Commission. Archived from the original on 17 February 2010.
- "House of Lords Appointment Commission". UK Parliament. Retrieved 24 December 2018.
- "Revealed: the business men selling the UK to the world". The Telegraph. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
The Lord Jay of Ewelme
| Chairman of the House of Lords Appointments Commission
The Lord Bew
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Lord Hall of Birkenhead
The Lord Bichard