||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Pandit Ajay Pohankar|
|Origin||Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Genres||Hindustani classical music, Kirana Gharana|
Early life and background
Ajay Pohankar (Marathi: अजय पोहणकर) was born in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, where his father was a lawyer. His first Guru was his mother Sushilabai Pohankar, a classical vocalist and a musicologist of Kirana gharana. Pohankar was Musical prodigy. At a young age of 11, Pohankar was invited to perform at the annual Sawai Gandharva Music Festival in Pune by the Hidustani Classical maestro, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi His sister, Swati Natekar is also a singer based in London. His son Abhijit Pohankar is a renowned Indian classical keyboardist and also famous for his fusion /world music experiments
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Ajay Pohankar is a renowned a classical music vocalist . Besides that, he is also known for the musical video and album of fusion music called Piya Bavari which was composed and conceptualised by his son Abhijit Pohankar. Pandit Ajay pohankar was considered as a miracle child prodigy when he sang some of the most amazing concerts alongside masters and legends of classical music like Smt Hira Bai Badodekar,Pandit Omkarnath thakur,Ustad bade Ghulam ali khan,Pt Bhimsen joshi and Ustad Salamat ali khan sahab.He has collaborated with many artists like Ghulam ali (Ghazal maestro),Dr Sonal Mansingh,Pt Vishwamohan bhatt,Hariharan, Percussionist Trilok gurtu etc..He has performed in more than 3500 concerts across the world to date.
Ajay Pohankar is married to Anjali, a vocalist and musicologist who has also written a book on Thumri . They have a son, Abhijit Pohankar, a keyboard player of Indian classical music and a fusion music composer and producer. .
Awards and honours
In 2009, Pohankar was awarded the Tansen Samman by the Government of Madhya Pradesh In 2012, he was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, the highest award for performing artists, conferred by the Sangeet Natak Akademi, India's National Academy for Music, Dance and Drama.
Raag Darpan T series Piya bawari-Times music Piya bawari again-Times music Urban raga-Hmv Sa re ga na Close to my heart-HMV Sa re ga ma Thumri funk-Emi Balaji tirupati-Times music Temple Music-Times music Sankirtan
- Sangeet Sartaj-Music today
- Faces Of Raga - Music today
- Raag Sindhu Bhairavi
- Raag Mishra Kafi
- Brij Mein Khelat Nandkishori
- Barjori Kar Rang Daari
- "Ajay Pohankar concert". The Hindu. Chennai, India. November 9, 2010.
- "Sitara, Keka to perform in Mumbai". The Times Of India. March 8, 2011.
- Samhita Barooah. "Five decades of uncompromised music". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Tansen Samman for Ghulam Mustafa Khan". The Pioneer. 26 November 2010. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships and Akademi Awards 2012" (PDF). Press Information Bureau, Govt of India. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- "SNA: List of Akademi Awardees". Sangeet Natak Akademi Official website.
- Official site-www.ajaypohankar.com