|Full name||Ajay Kumar Sharma|
3 April 1964 |
|Bowling style||Slow left-arm|
|Relations||Manan Sharma (son)|
|Only Test (cap 182)||11 January 1988 v West Indies|
|ODI debut (cap 64)||2 January 1988 v West Indies|
|Last ODI||16 November 1993 v West Indies|
|Domestic team information|
|Source: CricketArchive, 14 December 2009|
Sharma was a prolific run-maker in first-class cricket, mainly for Delhi, scoring over 10,000 runs at the high average of 67.46. Given a minimum qualification of 50 innings, only three players (Sir Donald Bradman, Vijay Merchant and George Headley) have bettered this average in first-class cricket.
In the Ranji Trophy, Sharma scored a record 31 centuries and his batting average of approximately 80 in this competition is second only to Vijay Merchant. In the 1996-97 season, he became only the third player to score over 1000 runs in a Ranji Trophy season. He played in six Ranji Trophy finals for Delhi scoring centuries in four of them, but only twice ended up on the winning side (1985–86 and 1991–92). Sharma also regularly represented North Zone in the Duleep Trophy.
In December 1988, he scored back-to-back fifties against New Zealand, but he did not reach those heights again except for a 59 not out (his highest ODI score) against Zimbabwe in March 1993. He finished with 424 runs at a batting average of 20.19. Sharma also took 15 wickets using his left-arm spin with a best of 3/41 against Australia in October 1989.
In September 2014, Sharma was cleared from all charges related to match-fixing by Delhi district court and has asked the BCCI to allow him to take part in the board's activities and those of its associates.
- "Ajay Sharma (Cricket Archive)". Retrieved 2006-06-09. (subscription required (. ))
- First-class Matches - Highest Career Batting Average Cricinfo
- Ranji Trophy - Most Hundreds Cricket Archive
- Ajay Sharma in elite company Cricinfo
- Breakup of Ajay Sharma's first-class statistics Cricinfo
- 4th Test: India v West Indies at Chennai, 11-15 January 1988 Cricinfo
- Ajay Sharma - ODI innings-by-innings batting list Statsguru, Cricinfo
- India v Australia at Bangalore, 27 October 1989 Cricinfo
- "Ajay Sharma".
- "Padiham withdraw Sharma contract".
- "Ajay Sharma cleared in match-fixing case".
- "Remembering KP Bhaskar".