Vinu in 2016
|Born||20 May 1976|
|Alma mater||Anna University|
Kaiserslautern University of Technology
Manonmaniam Sundaranar University
|Known for||Mesoporous carbon nitride|
|Fields||Materials science and Nanotechnology|
|Institutions||The University of Newcastle|
Ajayan Vinu is a material scientist. He is currently the Global Innovation Chair Professor for Advanced Nanomaterials and the director of Global Innovative Centre for Advanced Nanomaterials (GICAN), The University of Newcastle since October 2017 which houses more than 30 researchers including PhD students and staff. Before moving to the University of Newcastle, he was a professor of Nanomaterials at the University of South Australia from 2015-2017. and also worked at the University of Queensland as a Professor and ARC Future Fellow from 2011-2015. He is well known in the field of mesoporous carbon nitride and was the first one to introduce porosity in carbon nitride materials which find applications in different areas of research including catalysis, energy storage and conversion and carbon dioxide capture, and photocatalytic water splitting for hydrogen generation..
Early life and education
Ajayan Vinu was born in a small village located at the extreme South of India called Arumanai in Kanyakumari district in Tamil Nadu, India. He received his Bachelor's and master's degrees in chemistry from Manonmaniam Sundaranar University (MSU) in Tirunelveli district, India (1993-1998). He received his PhD degree in 2003 from Anna University, India, however, he carried out most of his PhD thesis work at kaiserslautern University of Technology, Germany.
In 2004 he moved to the National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Japan as an International Young Scientist fellow. He has published more than 350 papers in journals with ca. 16,800 citations and an H-index of 65 (google scholar). He is a fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry. In 2018, he was elected as a fellow of the World Academy of Art and Science and an academician of the world academy of ceramics.
During his tenure at NIMS, he was appointed as the NIMS Ambassador to India, and was instrumental in setting up the NIMS-India research centre at Indian Institute of Chemical Technology and appointed to serve as a Research Director for this Center.
Awards and honors
- Fellow, World Academy of Arts and Science 2018
- Academician, World Academy of Ceramics,2017
- Fellow, Royal Australian Chemical Institute 2017
- Foreign Fellow Award Maharashtra Academy of Sciences 2015
- Scopus Young Researcher Award- Elsevier 2014
- ARC Future Fellowship Award 2010
- Bessel Humboldt Award (2010)
- CSJ Young Chemist Award (2010)
- Award of Excellence from Indian Society of Chemists and Biologists(2009)
- Khwarizmi International Award for applied research at 21st session in 2008 alongside Prof C. N. R. Rao who received this award for innovation
- "Ajayan Vinu Profile Page, The University of Newcastle". newcastle.edu.au/profile. 16 January 2015. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Ajayan Vinu Home Page, University of South Australia". People.unisa.edu.au. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "ARC Funded Fellow". arc.gov.au. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- Vinu, A. (2005). "Preparation and Characterization of Well-Ordered Hexagonal Mesoporous Carbon Nitride". Advanced Materials. 17 (13): 1648–1652. doi:10.1002/adma.200401643.
- "Ajayan VINU". Nims.go.jp. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Professor Ajayan Vinu - Google Scholar Citations". Google.com.au. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Awards and Honors". Nims.go.jp. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "July 2018, World Academy of Arts & Science ;". Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "World Academy of Ceramics;". Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "New Fellow |". Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Maharashtra Academy of Sciences Fellows;". Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "ARC-funded researchers scoop the Scopus awards | Australian Research Council". Arc.gov.au. 18 September 2014. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "ARC-funded researchers scoop the Scopus awards | Australian Research Council". Arc.gov.au. 18 September 2014. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "Boudart Award: J. A. Dumesic / Hector Research Award: A. S. K. Hashmi / Bessel Research Award: A. Vinu / Appointed President: C.-L. Bai". Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 50 (22): 5015. 9 May 2011. doi:10.1002/anie.201101728.
- ""Dr. Vinu was awarded "the CSJ Award for Young Chemists".| MANA". Nims.go.jp. 28 March 2009. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- ""Dr. Vinu was awarded "Award of Excellence from ISCB".| MANA". Nims.go.jp. 28 March 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "Khwarizmi International Award 21st Session -2008 - Khwarizmi International Award (KIA)". 123.54. Retrieved 26 October 2017.