|Alma mater||IIM Calcutta|
|Occupation||Chairman & CEO of Rediff.com|
Ajit Balakrishnan is an Indian entrepreneur, business executive and administrator. He is the founder, current Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Rediff.com, an internet company based in Mumbai. Balakrishnan was Chairman of the Board of Governors of Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIM Calcutta) for two five-year terms ending in March 2017.
Balakrishnan holds a Bachelor of Science from the University of Kerala and a Post Graduate Diploma in Management with Master in Business studies (MBA) from IIM [Indian Institute of Management] Calcutta (1971).
Balakrishnan's first business was Rediffusion, now known as Rediffusion DY&R (Dentsu Young & Rubicam), which he co-founded when he was 22. In 1995, he founded Rediff.com, which became a highly successful internet site, and was listed on NASDAQ in 2001.
He writes a column in Business Standard and has written a book published by Macmillan Publishers called The Wave Rider. He has co-authored a research paper, Generic Framework for a Recommendation System using Collective Intelligence, with Alkesh Patel which was presented at the International Conference on Internet Technology and Secured Transactions, 2009.
Balakrishnan served as the Chairman of the Board of Governors of IIM Calcutta for two five-year terms ending in March 2017. He presently serves on the Governing Council of Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC.). He was named as the Chairman Emeritus of the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI). He has served as the Chairman of the Govt of India, Ministry of Information Technology Working Group on Internet Governance and Proliferation. He chaired a Committee appointed by India's Ministry of Human Resource Development on 'Research and Faculty Enhancement at the 7 IIMs'. He has in the past served as a member of the Central Advisory Board of Education of the Government of India.
- Stephen Wilmot (26 May 2011). "How I made it: Ajit Balakrishnan". Financial Times. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Ajit Balakrishnan, Rediff.com". dare.co.in. 1 June 2008. Archived from the original on 17 December 2011. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Speaker Corner: Ajit Balakrishnan". Forbes. Archived from the original on 12 February 2009. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Ajit Balakrishnan". NDTV. Archived from the original on 26 September 2012. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Rediff listed on NASDAQ in 2001.
- Columnists - Business Standard
- Book Review: The Wave Rider
- Board of Governors - IIM Calcutta.
- "Chairman Emeritus at IAMAI". Archived from the original on 24 September 2015.
- [permanent dead link].
- [blogs.rediff.com/ajitb Ajit Balakrishnan's blog on Rediff.com]
- The Wave Rider