November 9, 1939|
|Alma mater||Delhi University
|Known for||Research on photonics, fiber optics and education in India|
|Awards||Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize
Fellow National Academy of Sciences India
OSA Esther Hoffman Beller Award
ICO Galileo Galilei Award
SPIE educator award
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Technology|
|Academic advisors||Hans Bethe, Mark Nelkin|
|Notable students||K. Thyagarajan, RK Varshney,B.P. Pal, Anurag Sharma, IC Goyal, GP Agrawal|
Ajoy Ghatak has written over 170 research papers and more than 20 books (see Selected Publications below). His undergraduate text on Optics has been translated to Chinese and Persian and his monograph on Inhomogeneous Optical Waveguides (coauthored with Professor Sodha) has been translated to Chinese and Russian. In 1995, he was elected Fellow of the Optical Society of America "for distinguished service to optics education and for his contribution to the understanding of propagation characteristics of gradient index media, fibers and integrated optical devices".
He received his M.Sc from Delhi University and Ph.D from Cornell University. After a short stint as a Research Associate at Brookhaven National Laboratory, Professor Ghatak joined the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi in 1966. He retired as an Emeritus Professor of Physics at IIT Delhi in 2007.
Selected awards and honors
- SPIE Educator Award (2008) "in recognition of outstanding contributions to optics education"
- Esther Hoffman Beller Medal (2003) of the Optical Society of America "for outstanding contributions to optical science and engineering education"
- Galileo Galilei Award (1998) of the International Commission for Optics "for outstanding contributions to the field of optics which are achieved under comparatively unfavorable circumstances"
- S. S. Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology – Physical Sciences (1979) of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research "for significant work in the field of inhomogeneous optical wave-guides, theory of aberrations for optical systems comprising inhomogeneous media and self-focussing of laser beams"
- Ghatak, Ajoy (2010), Einstein And The Special Theory Of Relativity, ISBN 81-309-1478-6
- Thyagarajan, K.; Ghatak, Ajoy (2010), Lasers: Fundamentals And Applications (2nd ed.), ISBN 1-4419-6441-X
- Ghatak, Ajoy (2009), Optics (4th ed.), ISBN 0-07-338048-2
- Ghatak, Ajoy (2009), Basic Quantum Mechanics (with CD), ISBN 0-230-63916-X
- Lakshminarayanan, Vasudevan; Ghatak, Ajoy; Thyagarajan, K. (2001), Lagrangian Optics, ISBN 0-7923-7582-3
- Ghatak, Ajoy; Thyagarajan, K. (1998), An Introduction To Fiber Optics, ISBN 0-521-57785-3
- Ghatak, Ajoy (1996), Introduction To Quantum Mechanics, ISBN 0-333-92419-3
- Ghatak, Ajoy; Thyagarajan, K. (1989), Optical Electronics, ISBN 0-521-30643-4
- Eliezer, Shalom; Ghatak, Ajoy; Hora, Heinrich (1986), Fundamentals Of Equations Of State, ISBN 981-02-4833-4
- Ghatak, Ajoy; Lokanathan, S. (1984), Quantum Mechanics: Theory And Applications, ISBN 9781403923417
- Ghatak, Ajoy; Sodha, M. S. (1977), Inhomogeneous Optical Waveguides, ISBN 0-306-30916-5
- Miranda House events (PDF), retrieved 8 November 2010
- Ajoy Ghatak biography, International Commission for Optics, retrieved 7 November 2010
- IIT Kharagpur's biography on Ajoy Ghatak (PDF), Indian Institute of Technology, archived from the original (PDF) on 2 March 2011, retrieved 8 November 2010
- BESU Events 2010, archived from the original on 18 November 2010, retrieved 8 November 2010
- SPIE Events, archived from the original on 20 July 2010, retrieved 8 November 2010
- SPIE Educator Award, retrieved 8 November 2010
- OSA's Esther Hoffman Beller Medal, retrieved 8 November 2010
- ICO Galileo Galilei Award, archived from the original on 9 July 2011, retrieved 8 November 2010
- S. S. Bhatnagar award for Physical Sciences, retrieved 8 November 2010
- The full list of publications can be found here (accessed 8 November 2010)