Aka Manto (赤マント Red Cape) is a Japanese urban legend about a malicious spirit who haunts public and school toilets, who will ask you if you want red paper or blue paper. In some versions, he will ask you if you want a red or blue cape. Often described as a beautiful man in life and hounded constantly by admirers, he now wears a mask to hide his face.
If you are sitting on the toilet (usually the last stall), a mysterious voice will ask you if you want red paper or blue paper. If you answer red paper, you will be sliced apart until your clothes are stained red. If you choose blue paper, you will be strangled until your face turns blue. Any attempt to outsmart Aka Manto by asking for a different color will result in you being dragged to the Netherworld. If you say yellow he will shove your face in the toilet but you will survive. If you say no paper, he will depart.
Aka Manto is sometimes referred to as Aoi Manto (Blue Cape).
Sometimes the voice will ask you if you want a cape rather than paper. If you agree to red, the skin on your back is ripped off to resemble a red cape. If you ask for blue, all the blood is drained from your body.
One popular version of the story changes the choice from red paper to a red vest:
A police man and woman were called to a school after a student reported hearing a male voice in the girl's bathroom. The police woman went to the bathroom while her male partner waited outside. When inside the stall a voice asked “Shall we put on the red vest?” The police man outside, who was listening at the door, heard his partner answer “Yes”. A sudden scream and loud thud followed. When the policeman opened the bathroom door, he found the police woman decapitated. Her blood had soaked into her vest, turning it red.
Another version of the story says that if you ask for yellow cloak, you will have your head forced into the toilet you've just used.
- The Aka Manto appears in an episode of the Ghost Stories and Ghost Hunt
- Appears in the Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children video game series.
- Aka Manto appears as "A" in Hell Teacher Nūbē volume 4, chapter 24.
- Aka Manto is part of the supporting cast of Haunted Junction.
- The Aka Manto is also referenced in the highly acclaimed anime series, Little Busters! in episode 11, wherein the story is referred to in the format of a prank horror story.
- Touhou Shinhiroku~Urban Legend in Limbo as Toyosatomimi No Miko's attributed urban legend.
- In episode 6 of Kanamemo, Nakamichi Kana, while panicking on the toilet, is seen to repeatedly scream "a blue paper roll, a red paper roll, a yellow paper roll."
- The Aka Manto legend is transposed onto a modern setting in Maarten Groen and Nils Vleugels' 2015 short horror film "Arrêt Pipi". 
- 8 Scary Japanese Urban Legends | Cracked.com
- Red Cloak | Red Mantle | Aka Manto | Scary For Kids
- from DPPLR Plus 3 weeks ago Mature (2015-11-26). "Arrêt Pipi on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 2015-12-17.