This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Aka Manto (赤マント Red Cape) is a Japanese urban legend about a malicious spirit who kills people at public and school toilets, who will ask people if they want red paper or blue paper. In some versions, he will ask the individual if they want a red or blue cape. Often described as a beautiful man in life and hounded constantly by admirers, he supposedly wears a mask to hide his face.
If a person is sitting on the toilet (usually the last stall), a mysterious voice will ask them if they want red paper or blue paper. If they answer red paper, they will be sliced apart until their clothes are stained red. If they choose blue paper, they will be strangled until their face turns blue. Any attempt to outsmart Aka Manto by asking for a different color will result in them being dragged to the Netherworld. If you decline to receive any kind of paper, he will depart.
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Aka Manto is sometimes referred to as Aoi Manto (Blue Cape).
Sometimes the voice will ask them if they want a cape rather than paper. If they agree to red, the skin on their back is ripped off to resemble a red cape. If they ask for blue, all the blood is drained from their body.
One popular version of the story changes the choice from red paper to a red vest:
Another version of the story says that if they ask for yellow cloak, they will have their head forced into the toilet they've just used but they will survive being drowned.
- The Aka Manto appears in an episode of the Ghost Stories and Ghost Hunt.
- Appears in the Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children video game series.
- Aka Manto appears as "A" in Hell Teacher Nūbē volume 4, chapter 24.
- Aka Manto is part of the supporting cast of Haunted Junction.
- The Aka Manto is also referenced in episode eleven of the anime series Little Busters!.
- In episode 6 of Kanamemo, Nakamichi Kana, while panicking on the toilet, is seen to repeatedly scream "a blue paper roll, a red paper roll, a yellow paper roll."
- The Aka Manto legend is transposed onto a modern setting in Maarten Groen and Nils Vleugels' 2015 short horror film "Arrêt Pipi".
- A version of this legend is told in episode nine of the Fox comedy horror show Scream Queens.
- The Aka Manto is referenced in chapter 99 of the Gugure! Kokkuri-san manga.
- Aka Manto appears in Urban Legend in Limbo as Toyosatomimi no Miko's Urban Legend.
- Aka Manto appears in episode 36 of Urusei Yatsura, where he dances with Lum during a disco dancing contest.
- from DPPLR Plus 3 weeks ago Mature (2015-11-26). "Arrêt Pipi on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 2015-12-17.