This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||January 15, 1943
Allahabad, British India
|Education||School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London|
Akbar Salahuddin Ahmed is the Ibn Khaldun Chair of Islamic Studies at American University's School of International Service in Washington, DC and the former Pakistani High Commissioner to the UK and Ireland. Ahmed was a member of the Civil Service of Pakistan and served as Political Agent in South Waziristan Agency and Commissioner in Baluchistan. He also served as the Iqbal Fellow (Chair of Pakistan Studies) at the University of Cambridge as well as holding teaching positions at Harvard, Princeton, and the U.S. Naval Academy. An anthropologist and scholar of Islam, he received his PhD from the School of Oriental and African Studies in London. He has been called "the world's leading authority on contemporary Islam" by the BBC.
Ahmed received the Sitara-i-Imtiaz (Star of Excellence) from the Pakistani government for academic distinction, was awarded the inaugural Purpose Prize in 2006 alongside Judea Pearl, is frequently named in the annual book, The Muslim 500: The World's 500 Most Influential Muslims, and was named a 2015 Global Thought Leader by The World Post and the Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute.
- Journey Into Europe: Islam, Immigration, and Identity (Brookings Press, 2018).
- The Thistle and the Drone: How America’s War on Terror Became a Global War on Tribal Islam (Brookings Press, 2013).
- Suspended Somewhere Between: A Book of Verse (Busboys and Poets, 2011).
- Journey into America: The Challenge of Islam (Brookings Press, 2010; Winner of the American Book Award).
- Journey into Islam: The Crisis of Globalization (Brookings Press, 2007).
- After Terror: Promoting Dialogue Among Civilizations Co-Edited by Brian Forst, (Polity Press, 2005).
- Islam Under Siege: Living Dangerously in a Post-Honor World (Polity Press, 2003).
- The Future of Anthropology: Its Relevance to the Contemporary World; Co-Edited by Chris Shore, (Athlone Press, 1999).
- Islam Today: A Short Introduction to The Muslim World; (I.B. Tauris, 1998).
- Jinnah, Pakistan and Islamic Identity: The Search for Saladin; (Routledge, 1997).
- Islam, Globalization and Postmodernity with Hastings Donnan; (Routledge, 1994).
- Living Islam: From Samarkand and Stornoway (BBC Books, 1993).
- Discovering Islam: Making Sense of Muslim History and Society; (Routledge, 1988).
- Postmodernism and Islam: Predicament and Promise; (Routledge, 1992).
- Resistance and Control in Pakistan; (Routledge, 1991).
- Pakistan: The Social Sciences' Perspective; (Oxford University Press, 1990).
- Toward Islamic Anthropology: Definition, Dogma, and Directions; (Vanguard Books, 1987).
- Religion and Politics in Muslim Society: Order and Conflict in Pakistan; (Royal Book Co., 1987).
- Pukhtun Economy and Society: Traditional structure and economic development in a tribal society (Routledge, 1980).
- Pieces of Green, the Sociology of Change in Pakistan, 1964–1974; (Royal Book Co., 1977).
- Social and Economic change in the Tribal Areas, 1972–1976; (Oxford University Press, 1977).
- Millennium and Charisma Among Pathans: A Critical Essay in Social Anthropology (Routledge, 1976)
- Mataloona: Pukhto Proverbs, (Oxford University Press, 1975).
- Mansehra: A Journey, (Ferozsons, 1973).
- The Trial of Dara Shikoh (Saqi Books, 2009)
- Noor (Saqi Books, 2009)
- Journey into Europe (Documentary, 2015)
- Journey into America (Documentary, 2009)
- Jinnah (Feature Film, 1998)
- Mr. Jinnah: The Making of Pakistan (Documentary, 1997)
- Living Islam (BBC Six-Part Series, 1993)
- "Akbar Ahmed". The Globalist. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "American university honours Dr Akbar Ahmed with 'Teacher of the Year' award". Pakistan Today. 13 May 2017. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- Takar, Nafees. "Islam, Identity and the West: A Conversation With Ambassador Akbar Ahmed".
- "Pakistani-American professor wins 'teacher of the year' award - The Express Tribune". 15 May 2017.
- "Ahmed, Dr Akbar | The Muslim 500". themuslim500.com. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- Akbar Ahmed at the Huffington Post
- Faculty Biography at American University
- Articles on Islam by Professor Akbar S. Ahmad
- Interview with Professor Ahmed from the Foreign Correspondent, 19 September 2001
- The Independent on release of Jinnah, Nov. 1998
- "Islam and Freedom of Thought" by Akbar Ahmed and Lawrence Rosen
- "Five Years After 9/11, 'Dialogue' with Islam Cause for Hope": Q&A with Akbar Ahmed by Mark O'Keefe
- "Globalization in our Public Schools" by Akbar Ahmed posted 10/16/08
- Akbar Ahmed on IMDb
- Appearances on C-SPAN