|Established||July 20, 1982|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Mustafa Ünal|
Akdeniz University (Turkish: Akdeniz Üniversitesi) is a campus university in Antalya Province of Turkey. It is the leading higher education and scientific research center of the West Mediterranean region of Turkey.
Akdeniz University was founded in 1982 and incorporated with the higher education institutions already established in Antalya, Isparta and Burdur. It is established on approximately 925 acres (3.74 km2) of land to the west of Antalya city centre between Dumlupinar Boulevard and the Uncalı district.
There are 12 faculties: Medicine, Agriculture, Arts and Sciences, Economics and Administrative Sciences, Law, Fine Arts, Engineering, Education, Communication, Aquaculture, Business, and Theology. There are also four vocational schools in the university providing bachelor degree courses, eight vocational schools established in Antalya and its surrounding districts which offer two-year courses and four graduate schools providing education at master and doctorate levels.
The university has a staff-student ratio of 10.3, with one professor for every 35.4 students. The staff consists of 1309 administrative personnel, with 1671 in academic positions. 198 full professors are supported by 101 associate professors and 188 assistant professors. 265 lecturers, 768 researchers 79 lectors and 72 specialists complete the staff.
In the 2010–2011 academic year 31,167 students attended the university: 13,200 pre-graduates, 16,278 bachelor degree students, and 1,305 post-graduates.
On January 21, 2011, Turkish surgeon Dr. Ömer Özkan and his team successfully performed the country’s first-ever full face transplant at the university's hospital in Antalya. The 19-year-old patient, Uğur Acar's face was badly burnt in a house fire when he was a baby. The donor was 39-year-old Ahmet Kaya, who died on January 20. The surgery team accomplished at the same time another transplant, a double-arm and one-leg limb transplant, on Atilla Kavdı using the organs of the same donor.
Surgeon Dr. Ömer Özkan performed on May 16, 2012 with his team country's fourth face and their second full face transplant. The face and ears of the 27-year-old patient Turan Çolak from Izmir was burnt as he fell into an oven when he was three and half years old. The donor was Tevfik Yılmaz, a 19-year young man from Uşak, who had attempted suicide on May 8. He was declared brain death in the evening hours of May 15 after having been in intensive care station for seven days.
- Azize Tanrıkulu (born 1986), 2008 Olympic silver medalist and European champion Turkish female taekwondo athlete
- Bahri Tanrıkulu (born 1980), 2004 Olympic silver medalist and multiple World and European champion Turkish taekwondo athlete
- Barış Eyriboz (born 1976), Turkish film director, screenwriter and producer
- Burak Yeter, Turkish DJ, record producer and remixer.
- Mustafa Kalemli (born 1943), Turkish physician and politician, who served as the Speaker of the parliament
- Ömer Özkan (born 1971), Associate Prof. Dr. at Institute of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, who performed the country's first full face transplant